Understanding Proofs in Spivak's Calculus: Properties P1-P3 Explained

• Thread starter chemistry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the basic properties of numbers as presented in Spivak's calculus. The first chapter covers three properties: P1, P2, and P3, which involve equations and operations with numbers. The conversation then focuses on understanding the use of all three properties to justify an operation of subtracting "a" from both sides of an equation. The conversation also clarifies that the proof given is not for P2, but for a separate theorem that uses all three properties.
chemistry1
I'm studying Spivak's calculus and I have a really simple question :

I'm only in the first chapter on "The basic properties of numbers"

So far, we have the following propostion

P1 : (a+b)+c=a+(b+c)

P3 : a+(-a)=(-a)+a=0

P2 : a+0=0+a=a

Now, he tries to prove P2 (He doesn't do it for P3, so it's granted) He also says :

"The proof of this assertion involves nothing more than subtracting a from both sides of the equation, in other word, adding -a to both sides." Now, that I understand

"as the following detailled proof shows, all three properties P1-P3 must be used to justify this operation." That I don't understand. First, how can you use a proof of something you haven't proven ? Second, when he says all three properties to justify this operation, he means to substract "a" from both sides, right ? If so, I don't understand how they (properties) can be used ...

He starts with this :

If a+x=a

then (-a)+(a+x)=(-a)+a=0

hence ((-a)+a)+x=0

hence 0+x=0

hence x=0

My comments : For the first line, he starts with the assertion that an equation a+x=a exists. Now, he substract "a" from borth sides and with property 3 the right hand sides equals 0. With property 1 we regroup and cancel with property 3.Now we have 0+x=0 and we subtract zero from both sides to have x=0. Where is property 2 used ? How is subtracting "a" from both sides proven with all three properties ?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are mistaken when you say this is a proof of P2. He starts with "a+ x= a" and concludes "x= 0". That is NOT "P2". It is a separate theorem completely. His proof uses P1, P2, and P3.

Yeah, I didn't understand it in the correct way. Thank you !

1. How do you come up with a simple proof for a question?

There is no set formula for coming up with a simple proof for a question. It involves understanding the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, and finding a logical and concise way to connect those parts to arrive at a solution.

2. Can a simple proof be wrong?

Yes, a simple proof can be wrong. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are logically sound before considering it a valid proof.

3. Is a simple proof always the best approach?

Not always. In some cases, a complex proof may be necessary to fully understand and solve a problem. However, a simple proof is often preferred as it is easier to understand and more elegant.

4. Can a simple proof be used for any type of question?

Yes, a simple proof can be used for many different types of questions, but it may not work for every single one. Some problems may require a more specific or specialized approach.

5. How can I improve my ability to create simple proofs?

Practice is key to improving your ability to create simple proofs. Also, try to think critically and break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. Learning from other proofs and seeking feedback from peers or mentors can also help improve your skills.