Electromagetic movement of water

In summary, this is not possible to do as a gift. There is an enormous amount of power needed and the prospect of safely inducing the current is questionable.
voltronforce
Hi.

I was wondering how strong an electromagnet would have to be to move water, such as a low stream from a tap or something..

I searched the forum a bit to the answer to this, and while i did discover that an electromagnetic field of sufficient strength will move water, the strength required was not described.

The reason i ask is because i was thinking of making a modification to one of those tabletop water feature fountains as a gift idea. Is this even possible? Is there a better way? Or should i just go with a voucher or something...

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
voltronforce said:
Hi.

I was wondering how strong an electromagnet would have to be to move water, such as a low stream from a tap or something..

I searched the forum a bit to the answer to this, and while i did discover that an electromagnetic field of sufficient strength will move water, the strength required was not described.

The reason i ask is because i was thinking of making a modification to one of those tabletop water feature fountains as a gift idea. Is this even possible? Is there a better way? Or should i just go with a voucher or something...

Thanks in advance.
Moving water magnetically just isn"t going to happen. Try to find a different gift :eek:)

It takes an enormous amount of power. A prototype ship was built using this idea (think: "The Hunt for Red October"). It used massive superconducting electromagnets and was only able to move at 2 mph.

Cool. Back to the drawing board then.. Thanks for the help guys.

One possibility would be to induce an electric current through the steam of water, now you may be able to move the water by varying an external magnetic field.

The quesion would be how to induce the current... safely.

You put electrodes in the water between the magnet poles. The electrodes have to be perpendicular to the wate flow.

I believe and old microwave oven magnet would work. You may have to put salt in the water to get enought current. I believe on the order of an amp

1. How does electromagnetic movement of water work?

The movement of water through electromagnetic forces occurs when an electric current passes through a conductive medium, such as water. This creates a magnetic field which interacts with the water molecules, causing them to move and flow.

2. What are the applications of electromagnetic movement of water?

The applications of electromagnetic movement of water are varied and include desalination, wastewater treatment, and water purification. It can also be used to increase the efficiency of irrigation systems and in hydroelectric power generation.

3. Is electromagnetic movement of water safe for human consumption?

Yes, electromagnetic movement of water is safe for human consumption. The process does not introduce any harmful chemicals or substances into the water, making it a natural and environmentally friendly method of water treatment.

4. Can electromagnetic movement of water reduce water pollution?

Yes, electromagnetic movement of water can help reduce water pollution by removing contaminants and impurities from the water. This process is particularly effective in removing heavy metals, bacteria, and other harmful substances from wastewater and industrial runoff.

5. How does electromagnetic movement of water compare to other water treatment methods?

Compared to other water treatment methods, electromagnetic movement of water offers several advantages. It is a more energy-efficient and cost-effective process, requires minimal maintenance, and does not produce any chemical byproducts. However, it may not be suitable for treating large volumes of water and may require additional filtration methods for complete purification.