Finding pH given molarity and volume problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the mixing of two solutions and finding the resulting pH. The participants suggest converting the solutions to moles and calculating the excess of one solution. They ultimately determine that the resulting pH would be 1.62.
pmart491

Homework Statement

If you mix 200mL of a 1.8M HCl solution with 300mL of a 1.16M NaOH solution, what will be the pH of the solution?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I am really lost with this problem. I am pretty sure you need to convert each to moles.

.2L HCl x 1.8moles HCl
------------------
1L HCl

.3L NaOH x 1.16 moles NaOH
---------------------------
1L NaOH

HCl=.36moles

NaOH=.348moles

HCl + NaOH -> NaCl + H2O

not too sure where u go from there

Physics news on Phys.org
The acid and the base react 1:1, so which is in excess, and by how much?

is it .36-.348=.012 moles of HCl which = number of H+ ions?

pH=-log(.012) = 1.92?

or do u have to change moles of HCl back to molarity?

.012moles HCl
-------------
.5L total

=.024

pH=-log(.024)=1.62

HCl in aqueous solution is strongly ionized, or completely ionized for most practical purposes. For pH, you want the hydrogen ion CONCENTRATION AS MOLARITY..., and then find the negative logarithm.

Last edited:
yea so itd be 1.62 right?

Yep, 1.62 it is.

Welcome back, Borek! You were missed.

chemisttree said:
Welcome back, Borek! You were missed.

:blushing:

I am planning to spend some time here now ;)

1. How do I calculate the pH given the molarity and volume?

To calculate the pH, you will need to use the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter. This concentration can be determined using the molarity and volume of the solution. Simply plug these values into the formula to find the pH.

2. What is the relationship between molarity and pH?

Molarity and pH are inversely related. As the molarity of a solution increases, the pH decreases. This is because molarity is a measure of concentration, while pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity. Therefore, a higher concentration of hydrogen ions (higher molarity) will result in a lower pH, indicating a more acidic solution.

3. Can I use any unit for molarity and volume in the pH calculation?

No, for the pH calculation, molarity and volume must be in units of moles per liter (mol/L). If your molarity is given in units of millimoles per liter (mmol/L), you will need to convert it to moles per liter before using it in the pH formula.

4. What is the significance of finding the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution is important because it indicates the acidity or basicity of the solution. This can have implications for various chemical reactions, biological processes, and environmental conditions. For example, a low pH can indicate high acidity, which may be harmful to living organisms. Additionally, the pH can affect the solubility and effectiveness of certain substances in a solution.

5. Can I use the pH to determine the concentration of a solution?

No, the pH alone cannot determine the concentration of a solution. However, the pH can be used in conjunction with other information, such as the molarity and volume, to determine the concentration of a solution. This is done by rearranging the pH formula to solve for [H+] and then using that value to calculate the concentration in moles per liter.