Measuring angles using accelerometers

In summary, Accelerometers are not very accurate when it comes to rate of turn estimation and integration. Integration of side-side acceleration would give the rate of turn. However, if the vehicle drifts sideways without changing the speed it will move in the forward direction and give a similar reading as going in a curved path at a constant speed.
chammidhan
Hi.. am doing a project to plot the path of a moving vehicle in a coordinate system using accelerometers. To do this, I need to measure the angle that the vehicle rotates when it's going on a road. (Note this is not the tilt) Does anyone know if and how I can do this using only accelerometers? Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to integrate the accelearation to give you rate of turn, then integrate the rate of turn to give position. It isn't very accurate because of noise and drift in the sensors. The usual techniqueis to use Kalman filters to take out variations.
Realistically you should also have a way of periodically re-synchronising you direction with some other source ( a compass?) especially if your vehicle changes direction quickly.

Most of the device makers have tutorials on this.

Thanks a bunch for the reply. But i didn't quite get you. Assume the plane parallel to the Earth surface is the x-y plane. The vehicle is moving on the y direction and it goes on a bend which is a quarter of a circle and now travels in x direction. If we assume the velocity is constant, and that we are using a 2 dimensional accelerometer, which acceleration component should i integrate to obtain the rate of change of the angle?

Both
But if the accelerometer is mounted in-line with the vehicle so one output is reading the forward/back acceleration and one is reading side-side, then when you go round a corner at constant speed ( not constant velocity - if you are in this area it's important to get the terms right!) then you will only see side-side acceleration. The forward-back sensor should read zero.

Thank you for the correction of terms.. :) Yes it should be speed. So in the example above, assuming we have the accelerometer in line with the vehicle as you mentioned, would I be able to obtain the angular rate by integrating the side-side acceleration component? What's the relationship between that acceleration and the angular rate?

The simple case of going around a circle.
The centripetal accelration is = w^2 R
So integrate this and you get w (the angular speed) w = rad/s
Intergrate this and you get the number of radians you turned in this time.

The system you are describing is known as a strap-down INS,for a discussion see:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-696.pdf

Unless this is a class project where you have to develop the code yourself you are best off using something supplied by the acceleromter maker. Although the concept is simple there are lots of tricky bits to handle drift and noise sources.

ps. I wasn't being picky - this is more than difficult enough without the wrong words.

That's really ok.. :)

Say if I can get some accurate data with minimum noise with proper filtering..

The problem of the method you are suggesting is that we do not have a method of calculating the radius of curvature R. Also say the vehicle is moving on a straight line at a constant speed. If for some reason the vehicle drifts sideways without changing the speed it moves in the forward direction, that will also give a similar reading as going in a curved path at a constant speed. Any ideas to overcome that?

You don't need R, all constants drop out of the intergration.
Imagine you are turning around a sharp corner at high speed for a short time and a wide corner at low speed for a long time - you have the same total summed 'acceleration' on the sensor.

chammidhan said:
If for some reason the vehicle drifts sideways without changing the speed it moves in the forward direction, that will also give a similar reading as going in a curved path at a constant speed. Any ideas to overcome that?
No -there is no way of knowing that without a north seeking gyro or a compass.

Ok.. Thanks a lot.. I was getting the same impression and wanted to confirm. Thank you for the help.. :)

1. How does an accelerometer measure angles?

An accelerometer measures angles by detecting changes in acceleration along three axes: x, y, and z. By tracking the changes in acceleration, the device can determine the orientation and movement of an object and calculate the angle at which it is positioned.

2. Are accelerometers accurate for measuring angles?

Accelerometers are generally accurate for measuring angles, but their precision can vary depending on the device and its calibration. Some accelerometers may have a margin of error, but they can still provide a reliable measurement for most applications.

3. What are the uses of measuring angles with accelerometers?

Measuring angles with accelerometers has a wide range of uses, including in navigation systems, robotics, motion tracking, and virtual reality. It can also be used in conjunction with other sensors to collect data for scientific research or engineering purposes.

4. Can an accelerometer measure all types of angles?

An accelerometer is limited to measuring angles within its range of detection. For example, some accelerometers can only measure angles up to 90 degrees, while others may have a wider range of detection. Additionally, accelerometers may not be able to accurately measure angles in certain orientations or environments.

5. How can I calibrate an accelerometer for angle measurement?

To calibrate an accelerometer for angle measurement, you can use specialized software or follow a calibration procedure provided by the manufacturer. This typically involves placing the accelerometer in known orientations and adjusting its settings to ensure accurate measurements. It is important to regularly calibrate accelerometers to maintain their accuracy.