Finding the area enclosed by r=3sin theta

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the area enclosed by r=3sin(theta) in polar coordinates. The solution involves taking the integral of 3sin(theta) and using the formula for area in polar coordinates, r*dtheta*dr. There is also a mention of drawing a picture and using the correct formula for area.
grog

Homework Statement

Find the area enclosed inside r=3 sin (theta)

Homework Equations

integral?

The Attempt at a Solution

basically, I took [tex]\int3sin\Theta[/tex] from 0 to 2pi, then pulled the 3 out to get

[tex]3\int sin\Theta[/tex] from 0 to 2pi and then

[tex]3[-cos(\Theta)][/tex] evaluated from 0 to 2pi.

that seems too easy. what am I missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Who said everything has to be super hard? But if you work that out, you'll get 0 for the area. Is that right? It might help to draw a picture. And, hey, area in polar coordinates isn't the integral of r dtheta, is it? Would you look up the right formula for area?

Last edited:
ah. that's what it was. I forgot about the formula for area. : (

Thanks!

Dick said:
Who said everything has to be super hard? But if you work that out, you'll get 0 for the area. Is that right? It might help to draw a picture. And, hey, area in polar coordinates isn't the integral of r dtheta, is it?
Well, actually, Dick, area in polar coordinates is r dtheta! You didn't say quite what you meant to, did you?

Would you look up the right formula for area?

HallsofIvy said:
Well, actually, Dick, area in polar coordinates is r dtheta! You didn't say quite what you meant to, did you?

Are you SURE?

The integral of r*dtheta*dr is the area. Not the integral of r*dtheta. I missed it at my first reading as well.

1. What is the equation for finding the area enclosed by r=3sin theta?

The equation for finding the area enclosed by r=3sin theta is A = 1/2 * r^2 * theta, where r is the radius and theta is the angle in radians.

2. How do you find the radius when given the equation r=3sin theta?

The radius can be found by simply plugging in the given value for theta into the equation r=3sin theta. In this case, the radius would be 3.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the area enclosed by r=3sin theta?

The unit of measurement for the area enclosed by r=3sin theta would be square units, such as square inches or square meters, depending on the context of the problem.

4. Can the area enclosed by r=3sin theta be negative?

No, the area enclosed by r=3sin theta cannot be negative since it is a measurement of area which cannot be negative. However, the value of r or theta can be negative, which would change the direction of the area but not its magnitude.

5. How do you find the area enclosed by r=3sin theta for a specific interval of theta?

To find the area enclosed by r=3sin theta for a specific interval of theta, you would first find the angle in radians for the starting and ending points of the interval. Then, you would plug these values into the equation A = 1/2 * r^2 * theta and subtract the area at the starting point from the area at the ending point to find the area enclosed by the interval.