Finding Reactions In Simply Supported Beams

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the reactions Ra and Rb in a beam that is in equilibrium. The correct formula for summing moments is -(1.5 x 5) + (5 x 1.5) + (5 x 4.5) - (Rb x 3) = 0. The value of Rb is found to be 11.67kN and Ra is calculated to be 3.33kN. The importance of measuring perpendicular distances correctly is emphasized.
Jamesnikko

Homework Statement

Hope you can access this link for question http://s353.photobucket.com/albums/r387/james_nikko/?action=view&current=img002.jpg

Supports are at 1.5m and 4.5m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so i have attempted the problem using the following
(5x1.5) + (5x3) + (5x6) = (Rb x 4.5)

Therefore giving:
(Rb x 4.5) = 52.5
Rb= 11.67kN

Therefore:
Ra = (5+5+5) - Rb
Ra = 3.33kN

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the beam is in equilibrium, you can sum moments of a force about any point and set the sum equal to zero, but you must compute the moments of each force about that same chosen point, and then watch your plus and minus signs (clockwise vs. counterclockwise). Although you can choose any point, it is convenient to choose a point on the beam at one of the reaction supports. Try again to sum moments about R_a, and watch your plus and minus signs. Note from the symmetry of the loading and beam, the values of the end reactions, as you gain more experrence, should pop right out at you.

ok so my first force which is before point Ra on an overhang should be negative whereas the other two forces are positive? assuming i use a negative reaction at b of course. therefore formula would be, -(5x1.5) + (5x3) + (5x6) - (Rbx4.5)?

Jamesnikko said:
ok so my first force which is before point Ra on an overhang should be negative whereas the other two forces are positive? assuming i use a negative reaction at b of course. therefore formula would be, -(5x1.5) + (5x3) + (5x6) - (Rbx4.5)?
You are not summing moments correctly. All perpendicular distances must be measured between the force and the point (Ra) about which you are summing moments.

So I'll start you off, it's -(5 x 1.5) + (5 x 1.5) + (5 x ___) -(Rb x ___) = 0. Fill in the blanks and solve for Rb.

sorry i was working from memory :) formula should be
-(1.5 x 5) + (5 x 1.5) + (5 x 4.5) - (Rb x 3)
My major problem was that i wasn't using the force to the left of reaction a as a - number.
Thanks.

1. How do I determine the reactions at the supports of a simply supported beam?

To determine the reactions at the supports of a simply supported beam, you need to first calculate the sum of all the external forces acting on the beam, including any applied loads and moments. Then, using the equations of equilibrium, you can solve for the reactions at the supports.

2. What are the different types of reactions that can occur in a simply supported beam?

The two types of reactions that can occur in a simply supported beam are vertical reactions and moment reactions. Vertical reactions are forces acting perpendicular to the beam's surface, while moment reactions are rotational forces acting on the beam.

3. How do I determine the direction of the reactions at the supports?

The direction of the reactions at the supports can be determined by analyzing the direction of the external forces and moments acting on the beam. The reactions will be in the opposite direction of the applied loads and moments in order to maintain equilibrium.

4. Can the reactions at the supports be negative?

Yes, the reactions at the supports can be negative. This occurs when the support is pulling on the beam instead of pushing, or when the moment reaction is in the opposite direction of the applied moment.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding reactions in simply supported beams?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding reactions in simply supported beams include forgetting to consider all external forces and moments, using the wrong equations of equilibrium, and not properly considering the direction of the reactions. It is also important to check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the beam's geometry and boundary conditions.