LCD's - uniform electric field

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of torque on an electric dipole in an electric field. The answer given is a bit difficult to understand, but it is suggested to draw the F=qE force vectors to better comprehend it. The question also mentions that the forces are not collinear in a uniform electric field, and asks for an explanation. The answer is that the forces are parallel when the dipole is sideways to the field, and collinear when it aligns with the field. It is then proposed to draw the forces on a dipole and describe their effect on it.
Masafi
I have attached the question, and the answer. I don't understand the answer given.

Attachments

• 181.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 189
Physics news on Phys.org
Masafi said:
I have attached the question, and the answer. I don't understand the answer given.

I agree that the answer is a bit obtuse, but do you understand how there is a torque on an electric dipole in an E-field? You can draw the F=qE force vectors if that helps...

berkeman said:
I agree that the answer is a bit obtuse, but do you understand how there is a torque on an electric dipole in an E-field? You can draw the F=qE force vectors if that helps...

It is an uniform electric field, but the forces are not collinear... Why is this?

Masafi said:
It is an uniform electric field, but the forces are not collinear... Why is this?

The forces are parallel when the dipole is sideways to the field, and colinear after the dipole aligns with the field. Can you draw the forces on a dipole, and describe what those forces will do to the dipole?

1. What is an LCD and how does it work?

An LCD (liquid crystal display) is a type of flat panel display commonly used in electronic devices such as televisions, computer monitors, and smartphones. It works by using a uniform electric field to control the orientation of liquid crystal molecules, which in turn control the amount of light that passes through the display.

2. How is a uniform electric field created in an LCD?

A uniform electric field is created by applying a voltage across two electrodes that are placed on either side of the liquid crystal layer. This voltage creates an electric field that is constant and uniform throughout the display.

3. What are the advantages of using a uniform electric field in LCDs?

Using a uniform electric field allows for precise control over the orientation of liquid crystal molecules, resulting in better image quality and energy efficiency. It also allows for a thinner and lighter display compared to other display technologies.

4. How does a uniform electric field affect the display's image quality?

The strength and direction of the uniform electric field determine the orientation of liquid crystal molecules, which in turn affects the amount of light that passes through the display. By controlling this, the display can produce images with high resolution, contrast, and color accuracy.

5. Are there any potential health risks associated with LCDs and uniform electric fields?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the uniform electric field used in LCDs poses any health risks. LCDs have been extensively tested and approved by regulatory agencies for safe use in electronic devices.