Rooting for the Steelers: A Cleveland Native's Story

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary: I live in Patriots territory these days, but I'm a Pennsylvania native, so that makes my choice pretty easy!I don't care who wins out of the two teams. But I hope to one day see the Steelers in the Super Bowl.I don't care who wins out of the two teams. But I hope to one day see the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

Who are you rooting for in the Super Bowl?

• Green Bay Packers

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Super Bowl? What's that?

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
When I was a kid growing up in Cleveland Browns territory, about halfway towards Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Steelers were our mortal enemies. Then when I went to grad school, I shared an apartment with a guy from Pittsburgh, and we had a lot of fun when Browns/Steelers games turned up on TV. Now I'm happy to root for Pittsburgh, except when they play the Browns, of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'll watch the puppies.

I'm not sure, I hate them both.

Meh, Green Bay...

...But I predict Betty White will be the real winner.

Lets see if the refs play favorites with the Stealers, again.

lisab said:
Maybe I'll watch the puppies.
Me too! What channel are they on?

Hatin' on the Packers...

Last edited by a moderator:
Packers through and through. I grew up in GB. Wasn't a big fan growing up, but not having the crazy green and gold EVERYWHERE makes me miss home. So I watch and root for them now. Plus, if I rooted for another team, my family may never speak to me again.

I'm excited for Puppy Bowl! I have all kinds of special food prepared, mostly featuring the hot dog and kibble type foods.

Steelers will win. Their defense is relentless. Rodgers is great but he just isn't the same after he takes a big hit (which will happen early and often). And Ben is a winner. 24-20 Steelers. Ben hits Mike Wallace with :49 left. You heard it here first.

Crap. I am sorry greg! I typed that before you posted. I swear! Well I guess this is goodbye...

Did you know Chase Blackburn, the linebacker for the NY Giants has a degree in Mathematics?

Kevin_Axion said:
Did you know Chase Blackburn, the linebacker for the NY Giants has a degree in Mathematics?

It's probably not a good thing to be able to calculate your odds of getting a concussion on any specific play

When I was a kid in the 1960s, my parents and I took a vacation road trip up through Michigan and the U.P., and down through Wisconsin to Chicago where my father had an army reunion. My father and I thought it worth stopping in Green Bay to get a picture of the stadium.

Attachments

• greenbay.jpg
    greenbay.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 440
Jack21222 said:
Lets see if the refs play favorites with the Stealers, again.

This is the reason I'm rooting for the Packers. I'm a Seahawks fan, and watching the refs hate on the Hawks just turned me against the Stealers.

Char. Limit said:
This is the reason I'm rooting for the Packers. I'm a Seahawks fan, and watching the refs hate on the Hawks just turned me against the Stealers.

The refs did a number on the Ravens against the Steelers their last meeting. A phantom holding call on a punt return for a touchdown, and then calling a defensive holding on what would have been a failed 3rd down attempt by Pittsburgh when it was the offense that was holding resulted in an 8 point swing in what ended up as a 7 point game.

Jack21222 said:
The refs did a number on the Ravens against the Steelers their last meeting. A phantom holding call on a punt return for a touchdown, and then calling a defensive holding on what would have been a failed 3rd down attempt by Pittsburgh when it was the offense that was holding resulted in an 8 point swing in what ended up as a 7 point game.

Good, the Steelers deserved it.

I'm not a Big Ben fan and I like Aaron Rodgers. Go cheeseheads!

My stepmom and step brothers and sisters used to live next door to Bob Skoronski, so I have to root for the Packers.

Well, except when they played the Broncos.

Char. Limit said:
Good, the Steelers deserved it.

The Steelers deserved the win and the calls in their favor, and you have a Green Bay helmet as your icon? You confuse me.

Jack21222 said:
The Steelers deserved the win and the calls in their favor, and you have a Green Bay helmet as your icon? You confuse me.

Oops. I misread that to mean the exact opposite.

Unfortunately I am a hardcore Dolphins fan...One day we will reach the Super Bowl again. One day...

I live in Patriots territory these days, but I'm a Pennsylvania native, so that makes my choice pretty easy!

My best friend is a Packers girl though...shes not talking to me today...

I have never liked any sports, but I found that American Football is the only sport I can watch. I 'chose' to be a Jets fan, as it is the one place I'd like to visit in the United States (that and Emily Dickinson's house). I didn't know when I chose them that they were pretty rubbish.
I don't care who wins out of the two teams. But I hope to watch the game.

I guess the Pittsburgh Steelers since they beat KC. But I really don't care. But I see the poll is closed.

I only care about watching to see the "Blackeye Peas".

21-10 Packers at halftime! :biggrin:

GOOOOOO PACKERS :smile:!

:zzz: :biggrin:

For a while, it looked like this was going to be a blowout for the Packers. But the Steelers came back! Now it's do or die time for them: they're down six points, and they get the ball with two minutes to go and only one time-out left...

[added] Nope, no miracle this time. Good game anyway. Those three turnovers killed the Steelers.

Last edited:
PACKERS WIN! PACKERS WIN! THANK god ALMIGHTY, the PACKERS WIN!

:biggrin:, I'm so happy!

Wooooo! Go pack, go!