Question about the integral test

In summary, the conversation was about determining whether the series \sum 1/n^2 + 4 converges or diverges. The user attempted to use trigonometric substitution and the p-series test to argue that both the series \sum 1/n^2 and \sum 1/(n^2 + 4) converge. However, it was pointed out that there was an error in the notation as the series \sum (1/n^2) + 4 does not converge. The conversation ended with the user acknowledging the mistake and thanking the others for their help in improving their use of mathematical notation.
salazar888

Homework Statement

We have to determine whether [itex]\sum 1/n^2 + 4[/itex]
is convergente or divergent

Homework Equations

I'm trying to work the problem through trigonometric substitution. I was wondering if I could just determine that by the P-series test, the function 1/n^2 will always be larger than the other one, since p is greater than 1 in this case, both are convergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi salazar888! welcome to pf! :smile:
salazar888 said:
I was wondering if I could just determine that by the P-series test, the function 1/n^2 will always be larger than the other one, since p is greater than 1 in this case, both are convergent

yes, always 0 < 1/(n2+4) < 1/n2,

the latter sum converges (from the p-series test), so so must the former (from the direct comparison test) :wink:

Obviously, since the series [itex] \sum \frac{1}{n^2} [/itex] converges, the sum you wrote, [itex] 4 + \sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] converges also.

RGV

Last edited:
The series 1/n does not converge. It's the harmonic series. You read it wrong. I get what you're saying though.

I saw the error and edited it immediately.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Obviously, since the series [itex] \sum \frac{1}{n^2} [/itex] converges, the sum you wrote, [itex] 4 + \sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] converges also.

RGV
But the series
[tex]\sum\left(\frac{1}{n^2}+ 4\right)[/tex]
does NOT converge!

I agree, but that is not what he wrote. We all know he meant sum 1/(n^2 + 4), but he wrote sum (1/n^2) + 4, which is very different according to standard math expression padding rules. Since he was using 'tex' anyway, he should have been able to enter "{n^2+4}" as the second argument of the '\frac' command.

RGV

Yes it was my fault. I've only been on the forum for a couple of days. Thanks for the help guys. I will improve at typing the commands.

1. What is the integral test?

The integral test is a method used in calculus to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves comparing the series to a related improper integral.

2. How does the integral test work?

The integral test works by comparing the series to a related improper integral. If the integral converges, then the series also converges. If the integral diverges, then the series also diverges.

3. When should the integral test be used?

The integral test should be used when determining the convergence or divergence of a series with positive terms. It is most commonly used for series involving rational functions or exponential functions.

4. What are the limitations of the integral test?

The integral test can only be used for series with positive terms. It also requires that the terms of the series must be continuous and decreasing. Additionally, the integral may be difficult or impossible to evaluate in some cases.

5. How is the integral test related to the p-series test?

The integral test is a generalization of the p-series test. For a p-series, the corresponding improper integral is evaluated as a definite integral. The integral test can be used for more diverse series that do not fit the form of a p-series.