Why do the centripetal and gravitational force equal each other in orbit?Also

In summary, the centripetal and gravitational force must be equal in orbit because the centripetal force is necessary for the satellite to travel in a circular path, and the gravitational force happens to provide the required force. Similarly, in the case of the car going around a corner, the centripetal force must equal the static friction force in order for the car to maintain its circular motion on flat ground.
MakeItThrough
Why do the centripetal and gravitational force equal each other in orbit??Also...

Homework Statement

Say for example, a problem wants us to find the mass of a planet. It gives us a satellite that orbits that planet with a radius of R and a period T. Now, I know how to solve this problem. You must set Fc = Fg.
But what I do not know is why the centripetal and gravitational force of these two objects must equal each other.

Also, a similar problem to that is one like this:
When you take your 1200 kg car out for a spin, you go around a corner of radius 57.6 m with a speed of 15.2 m/s. The coefficient of static friction between the car and the road is 0.84. Assuming your car doesn't skid, what is the force exerted on it by static friction?

Again, I already know how to solve this. You must set Fc = Ff ... mv^2 / r = Ff, and then you just plug in the given values into the mv^2 / r and that is your answer.
I do not know why in this case the centripetal force and the static friction must equal each other.

If someone could please explain this to me, I would feel so much better while taking the test tomorrow... My teacher goes through this stuff extremely fast.

Homework Equations

V = 2piR / T
Fc = mv^2 / r
Fg = Gm1m2 / r^2

Physics news on Phys.org

Newtons second law, sum of forces equals mass times acceleration. The force you have is gravity, and the acceleration is centripetal acceleration.

MakeItThrough said:

Homework Statement

Say for example, a problem wants us to find the mass of a planet. It gives us a satellite that orbits that planet with a radius of R and a period T. Now, I know how to solve this problem. You must set Fc = Fg.
But what I do not know is why the centripetal and gravitational force of these two objects must equal each other.

Also, a similar problem to that is one like this:
When you take your 1200 kg car out for a spin, you go around a corner of radius 57.6 m with a speed of 15.2 m/s. The coefficient of static friction between the car and the road is 0.84. Assuming your car doesn't skid, what is the force exerted on it by static friction?

Again, I already know how to solve this. You must set Fc = Ff ... mv^2 / r = Ff, and then you just plug in the given values into the mv^2 / r and that is your answer.
I do not know why in this case the centripetal force and the static friction must equal each other.

If someone could please explain this to me, I would feel so much better while taking the test tomorrow... My teacher goes through this stuff extremely fast.

Homework Equations

V = 2piR / T
Fc = mv^2 / r
Fg = Gm1m2 / r^2

Simplest acceleration is this:

The gravitational force is the ONLY force acting on the Satellite.

The Centripetal force is the force we would need to have if the satellite is to travel in a circular path.

The satellite DOES travel in a circular path, so the Graitaional force existing happily equals the centripetal force we need.

Gravtational force is a real force.

Centripetal force is a desired/necessary force.

Another example:

Why CAN'T you ride a motorbike in a circle of radius 10m at 150 km/h on flat ground?

Simple, you could calculate the centripetal force NEEDED for that to happen, but when you add up [as vectors] all the forces acting - gravity, reaction force, friction,... They just don't add up to the necessary force, so the situation just can't happen.

In the case of a satellite, the available force [gravity] happens to provide the required force, so its circular motion is maintained.

EDIT: Oh, and in the case of the car - it must have been on flat ground also. Most roads have a small degree of banking so that would have contributed, and if the banking was steep enough - like at a velodrome - you mightn't need friction at all.

1. Why do the centripetal and gravitational force equal each other in orbit?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while the gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects. In an orbit, the centripetal force is provided by the gravitational force between the orbiting object and the larger object it is orbiting around. This is known as the centripetal force-gravitational force equilibrium, where the two forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, allowing the object to maintain a stable orbit.

2. How does the centripetal force-gravitational force equilibrium work in an orbit?

As mentioned, the centripetal force is provided by the gravitational force between the two objects in an orbit. The gravitational force, according to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, is directly proportional to the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In an orbit, the distance between the two objects remains constant, but the velocity of the orbiting object changes as it moves closer or farther away from the larger object. This change in velocity results in a change in the centripetal force, keeping it in equilibrium with the gravitational force.

3. Can the centripetal force and gravitational force be unequal in an orbit?

No, in order for an object to maintain a stable orbit, the two forces must be equal. If the centripetal force is greater than the gravitational force, the orbiting object will move away from the larger object and eventually escape its gravitational pull. On the other hand, if the gravitational force is greater, the orbiting object will be pulled towards the larger object and crash into it. Therefore, the two forces must be equal for an object to remain in a stable orbit.

4. Does the centripetal force-gravitational force equilibrium only apply to objects in orbit?

No, the centripetal force-gravitational force equilibrium can also be seen in other circular motion scenarios, such as a ball on a string or a car turning on a curved road. In these cases, the centripetal force is provided by the tension in the string or the friction between the tires and the road, while the gravitational force is negligible.

5. Are there any other factors that affect the centripetal and gravitational force equilibrium in an orbit?

Yes, other factors such as the shape and size of the orbit, the mass and distance of the two objects, and the presence of other gravitational forces can also affect the equilibrium. These factors can result in changes in the velocity and direction of the orbiting object, but as long as the two forces remain equal, the object will remain in orbit.