Questions concerning hypervelocity stars

• Thread starter Travito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the conversation was about hypervelocity stars and their characteristics. The participants discussed the average speed of a hypervelocity star and which of the Magellanic Clouds is more likely to produce them. They also talked about the flight time of a hypervelocity star from these galaxies to reach Earth. One participant mentioned that hypervelocity stars can originate from any part of any galaxy and another clarified that they did not say it was impossible for a hypervelocity star to reach Earth. The conversation ended with a lighthearted remark about the likelihood of this scenario being realistic.
Travito
Hey everybody, I'm new here and what better way to start then jump right in! I have a few questions concerning hypervelocity stars for a sci fi book that I want to write.

First of all, what is the agreed upon "average" speed of a hypervelocity star? I have done a bit of googling, but I have seen a lot of different numbers. Would 1000km/s be about right?

Secondly, I have read that some hypervelocity stars are thought to have originated in the Magellanic Clouds. Which one would be more likely to produce hypervelocity stars? The LMC or the SMC?

Thirdly and finally, given the speed and the distance of the LMC/SMC, how long would it take a hypervelocity star to reach Earth? I know this would never happen, but keep in mind it's just for a sci fi novel :P

Thank you all for your help and I look forward to being a member of these forums :) Merry Christmas!

Travito

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Travito said:
Which one would be more likely to produce hypervelocity stars? The LMC or the SMC?
Can't imagine it would make any difference.

Travito said:
Thirdly and finally, given the speed and the distance of the LMC/SMC, how long would it take a hypervelocity star to reach Earth?
You know the distance to LMC, and you know the velocity you've chosen, so it;s a pretty straightforward calc.

Why do you say it can never happen?

Travito said:
Hey everybody, I'm new here and what better way to start then jump right in! I have a few questions concerning hypervelocity stars for a sci fi book that I want to write.

First of all, what is the agreed upon "average" speed of a hypervelocity star? I have done a bit of googling, but I have seen a lot of different numbers. Would 1000km/s be about right?

Secondly, I have read that some hypervelocity stars are thought to have originated in the Magellanic Clouds. Which one would be more likely to produce hypervelocity stars? The LMC or the SMC?

Thirdly and finally, given the speed and the distance of the LMC/SMC, how long would it take a hypervelocity star to reach Earth? I know this would never happen, but keep in mind it's just for a sci fi novel :P

Thank you all for your help and I look forward to being a member of these forums :) Merry Christmas!

Travito

From what I have read hyper velocity stars have been flung out of the Galactic core. I guess they might be easier to see in the LMC/SMC. The Magellanic Clouds are about 168,000 (LMC) & 225,000 ly (SMC) away. At 1,000 km/s you're traveling at 300 years per light-year, thus it's 56,000,000 years & 75,000,000 years flight time respectively.

Most HVS are thought to have been hurled out from the galactic core-not all.

Hypervelocity stars can originate from any part of any galaxy. They are usually associated with supernova kicks. Some are also due to black hole slingshots. The ones that originate near galactic cores are typically easier to detect.

Radrook said:
Why do you say it can never happen?

What? I didn't say that; I said LMC is as likely as SMC. Doesn't make a diff which one you choose.

DaveC426913 said:
What? I didn't say that; I said LMC is as likely as SMC. Doesn't make a diff which one you choose.

Travito said that he knows a supervelocity star could never reach Earth and I asked why he thinks that's impossible.

Radrook said:
Travito said that he knows a supervelocity star could never reach Earth and I asked why he thinks that's impossible.

Oh. Well, that's why quoting is helpful. :wink:

I guess he was just heading off the standard responses saying 'this is so fabulously unlikely that it's not a realistic scenario'.

DaveC426913 said:
Oh. Well, that's why quoting is helpful. :wink:

I guess he was just heading off the standard responses saying 'this is so fabulously unlikely that it's not a realistic scenario'.

It only becomes a realistic scenario when it happens.

1. What are hypervelocity stars?

Hypervelocity stars are stars that are moving at extremely high velocities, typically greater than 1 million miles per hour. These speeds are much higher than the average speed of stars in our galaxy, the Milky Way.

2. How do hypervelocity stars form?

There are several theories on how hypervelocity stars are formed. One theory suggests that they are formed when a binary star system is disrupted by a supermassive black hole, causing one of the stars to be flung out at high speeds. Another theory suggests that they are formed through interactions with other stars in dense star clusters.

3. Are hypervelocity stars dangerous to Earth?

No, hypervelocity stars are not a danger to Earth. They are extremely far away and their high speeds make it unlikely that they will come close enough to our solar system to cause any harm.

4. How are hypervelocity stars detected?

Hypervelocity stars are detected through their high velocities and distinctive trajectories. Scientists use telescopes and advanced imaging techniques to track the movement of these stars and determine their speeds.

5. What can we learn from studying hypervelocity stars?

Studying hypervelocity stars can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the role of black holes in the universe. They can also help us better understand the dynamics of star clusters and the fate of binary star systems.