Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
20°C and a blue sky.

(That's 68°F for nonSIners).

Physics news on Phys.org
45F and climbing under sunny skies. Tomorrow could hit 60 F. Much better than yesterday - low 30s and freezing rain.

Ah spring, when the flowers bloom, the birds sing, and you wake up to four inches of snow... HUH?! This is a surprise!

This is the most accumulation we've had all winter and it's still coming down.

I'm afraid my fruit trees will bloom too soon, and be without pollinators or be killed of by a late frost. Far too warm here.

turbo said:
I'm afraid my fruit trees will bloom too soon, and be without pollinators or be killed of by a late frost. Far too warm here.
Everything will be killed here including the pollinators. :cry:

dlgoff said:
Everything will be killed here including the pollinators. :cry:
My fear, too, dlg. Things are changing too fast, and nature can't keep up, I'm afraid.

Damn! It's still a bit cool in the house, but 82 F in the shade outside. I fear for early-blooming crops because there is still plenty of "winter" ahead.

AlephZero said:
The UK seems to be living up to an old weather proverb: if the ice is thick enough for a duck to walk on before Christmas, it won't be thick enough for a goose to walk on all year.

Walk?! :bugeye:
Here, Canada geese and Canuck ducks are hatched knowing how to skate. It's very handy for the unfortunate ones who miss their flights for migration.

Pine pollen season started here a few days ago, about two or three weeks early. My wife's car is now light green instead of white. :tongue:

I fear for this year's fruit crops. We will eventually get back into a "Baby it's cold outside" trend, I think, but again today, we are in the mid-80s in the shade and the fruit trees are sporting fattening buds. Bad news for the commercial apple/pear orchards here, I fear. Combined with a warm winter that allowed many insect pests to over-winter, they will be fighting for their financial survival. Crops will likely be small, and insecticide costs may be very high. Not good.

Still high in mid 50's here.

This is ridiculous! 86 in the shade here, and it's only the second day of spring! I really want to get the "Baby it's cold outside" conditions to put some my fruit trees back into dormancy, if that's even possible at this point.

We ended up with about 7" of snow over the last couple of days. Some of it melted and then it dropped below freezing again and more came down. This is one of the heaviest snowfalls that we've seen in years.

Today it will be in near 40F but is supposed to drop into the low 20s again tonight. That means lots of black ice from the snow melt.

Baby it's warm out. But I am glad to hear my apple trees buzzing with Honey Bees. The most bees I've seen for at least 5 years. They're making a come-back here, IMO.

dlgoff said:
Baby it's warm out. But I am glad to hear my apple trees buzzing with Honey Bees. The most bees I've seen for at least 5 years. They're making a come-back here, IMO.
It was in the 80s last week. Now its 30 F outside and expected in the 20s tonight. This year's apple crop is iffy.

The leaves on my blueberries have opened already. That's not supposed to happen for several weeks. Last year - some of the new growth died during a late freeze.

Astronuc said:
It was in the 80s last week. Now its 30 F outside and expected in the 20s tonight. This year's apple crop is iffy.

The leaves on my blueberries have opened already. That's not supposed to happen for several weeks. Last year - some of the new growth died during a late freeze.
I would really like to get some blueberries going here. Years ago I couldn't get them to survive the hot summers. But I want to try again.

Speaking of "not supposed to happen". Yesterday I opened the door on my outside electrical box to plug into and was attacked by wasps. Hello. It's only March not July.

I was supposed to visit my barber and get a haircut today, but temperatures had plummeted from 80s (last week) to just about freezing today. Since she has to cut my hair outdoor, we had to cancel and hope to reschedule when we get a bit of a warm-up, so she doesn't freeze her skinny fingers.

I don't know what's going to happen with my fruit trees or my wife's flowering perennials. Our plants got a jump-start and I fear they will suffer damage from this switch to below-seasonable temperatures.

Temps currently in the low 20s, and windy with gusts to 30-40 mph. I just got back inside from walking Duke, and I'm frozen.

Ok - it's back to cold. We have a freeze warning.

Astronuc said:
Ok - it's back to cold. We have a freeze warning.
It's crazy here too. Saturday we had a frost that hurt some of my garden then today 95. WT*

It's about -1c here right now, I have to pull my motorbikes out of storage today, it's going to be a cold day of riding.

Edit: It sounds like I wouldn't pull them out if I didn't have to, but even if I didn't have to, I still would. :biggrin:

Does 72°F at noon count as being cold? After the 100°F to 110°F days we've had, it's feeling a little cold out there.

dlgoff said:
Does 72°F at noon count as being cold? After the 100°F to 110°F days we've had, it's feeling a little cold out there.

I know what you mean. It's raining here and 69°F. I love it!

dlgoff said:

Jimmy said:
I know what you mean. It's raining here and 69°F. I love it!
I had to wear a sweater last night and I was still cold. I can take this!

It was 53.7°F at 7:00 AM here in the U.P. of Michigan, some of the trees are starting to change color already...

62F at 12 noon, we had rain and hail earlier. Only 65F right now.

Evo said:
Color me jealous. I have so much yard-work to do, but with highs in the high 80s and dew points in the 70s, I can't stand being outside for long, much less doing anything that requires physical exertion.

Currently, 17 C = 63 F;

today's predicted high, 19 C = 66 F;

tonight's predicted low, 6 C = 43 F.

Evo said:

Similarly here. After getting back from Croatia (with temps in 90s every day) it feels like December.

66.4 F = 19 C

will be -40 soon

Current temperature is 2 C = 35.6 F.

George Jones said:
Current temperature is 2 C = 35.6 F.
I hope someone gives you the third degree.

Temperatures will be dropping all day, into the 60's. According to the weather map, it looks like the damaging hail, winds and chance of tornadoes will be to the east of dl and I. Sure looking forward to more rain and fall temperatures.