Residue Theorem integral application

In summary, the conversation is about using the Residue theorem to compute the integral ∫ x2/(x4-4x2+5). The discussion includes finding the relevant root, using the theorem to calculate the residue, and analyzing the entire problem to determine the final solution. The conversation also mentions the possibility of having multiple roots and the need for careful analysis.
jsi

Homework Statement

Compute the integral: ∫ x2/(x4-4x2+5)

Homework Equations

Uses Residue theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the zeroes of x4-4x2+5 to be 2+i and 2-i, and therefore the one that is of relevance is 2+i since it is in the upper half-plane. Then I used residue theorem that said Res(P(z)/Q(z); 2+i) = P(2+i)/Q'(2+i) = (2+i)2/(4(2+i)3-8(2+i)) = (4i+3)/(36i-8) and then I multiplied by 2∏i which would leave me with a value in the complex plane. I think this is wrong because it should come out with a real valued number. Does it have something to do with the zero having a multiplicity of 2? And if so, how do I go about redoing it with that in mind, I don't remember learning how to do that...

Physics news on Phys.org
jsi said:
So I found the zeroes of x4-4x2+5 to be 2+i and 2-i, and therefore the one that is of relevance is 2+i since it is in the upper half-plane.

Fourth order equation has four zeroes :)

jsi said:

Homework Statement

Compute the integral: ∫ x2/(x4-4x2+5)

Homework Equations

Uses Residue theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the zeroes of x4-4x2+5 to be 2+i and 2-i, and therefore the one that is of relevance is 2+i since it is in the upper half-plane. Then I used residue theorem that said Res(P(z)/Q(z); 2+i) = P(2+i)/Q'(2+i) = (2+i)2/(4(2+i)3-8(2+i)) = (4i+3)/(36i-8) and then I multiplied by 2∏i which would leave me with a value in the complex plane. I think this is wrong because it should come out with a real valued number. Does it have something to do with the zero having a multiplicity of 2? And if so, how do I go about redoing it with that in mind, I don't remember learning how to do that...

Until you analyze the entire problem meticulously with a fine-tooth comb, it's not going to happen even when you get all four. First, I assume you want the indefinite integral:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x^2}{x^4-4x^2+5}dx[/tex]

via the Residue Theorem. Then we could write:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{C} \frac{z^2}{z^4-4z^2+5}dz=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x^2}{x^4-4x^2+5}dx+\lim_{R\to\infty} \int\limits_{\gamma}\frac{z^2}{z^4-4z^2+5}dz=2\pi i \sum \text{Res}f(z)[/tex]

Now, you understand all that? Every little bit of it? Without me having to explain what all the notation is right? When you do, then analyze every part of it in detail even that "excipient" leg of the contour that I assume goes to zero but don't know for sure cus' I haven't analyzed it meticulously, then determine which of the four roots are in the contour, compute the residue of the function there, then do the final sum. Bingo-bango and we're done.

Last edited:
2+i isn't even a root of your polynomial. sqrt(2+i) (for example) is.

1. What is the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem is a mathematical tool used to compute complex integrals involving functions that are analytic everywhere except at a finite number of isolated points. It states that the value of an integral around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of the function inside the curve.

2. How is the Residue Theorem applied in integrals?

The Residue Theorem is applied by first identifying the singularities or poles of the function within the closed curve. Then, the residues of these singularities are computed, and the theorem is used to evaluate the integral by summing up the residues.

3. What types of integrals can the Residue Theorem be applied to?

The Residue Theorem can be applied to integrals involving rational functions, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions, as long as they are analytic except at a finite number of isolated points.

4. What is the significance of the Residue Theorem in complex analysis?

The Residue Theorem is a powerful tool that simplifies the computation of complex integrals, making it a key concept in complex analysis. It also has important applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and physics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem can only be applied to integrals with a finite number of isolated singularities. It also cannot be used for integrals with essential singularities or for integrals over unbounded regions.