Register to reply

Why vector form is convenient?

by manimaran1605
Tags: convenient, form, vector
Share this thread:
manimaran1605
Aug22-13, 06:55 AM
P: 50
I read that a point relative to origin in 3D coordinate system is conveniently specified by the vector form, why?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
arildno
Aug22-13, 08:12 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Because
a) the vectorial description contains all the info required to identify the point, and nothing superfluous
b) The manner in which we write vectors makes it easy for us to treat them as a type of numbers; that is, we easily see how to add, and for that matter (sort of) multiply them together, and also how to interpret, in a geometric sense, what such algebraic operations "really" means.
HallsofIvy
Aug22-13, 08:15 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,353
Because there are many different points the same distance from the origin (or any one point) of a coordinate system so a single number will not suffice to identify it. Equivalently, it take 3 numbers to identify everypoint in a 3D coordinate system (pretty much the definition of "3D") and it is convenient to arrange those numbers in an array. It is the fact, from geometry of similar triangles, that the coordinates [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] of a point exactly 1/2 way between two points [itex](x_1, y_1, z_1)[/itex] and [itex](x_2, y_2, z_2)[/itex] are [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)= ((x_1+ x_2)/2, (y_1+ y_2)/2, (z_1+ z_2)/2)[/itex] that means that "scalar multiplication" of vectors is convenient (in fact, "scalar multiplication" and the whole idea of vectors was created to simplify that).

(Arildno got in two minutes before me! And we are saying essentially the same thing.)

manimaran1605
Aug22-13, 11:27 AM
P: 50
Why vector form is convenient?

got it, Thank you both for clarifying my doubt

Register to reply