How much of the night sky one could see from various locations

In summary, the amount of the night sky that can be seen at any given time depends on the observer's location on Earth. Near sea level, half of the celestial sphere can be seen, and this increases slightly if the observer is not at sea level. Over the course of a year, different parts of the Earth see a larger or smaller proportion of the whole, with the equator seeing the entire sky and the poles seeing only half. The North Star, Polaris, is visible at the equator, but very close to the horizon. However, due to the vastness of the universe, observers at different locations can see different portions of the night sky at any given time.
EskWIRED
I was wondering about how much of the night sky one could see from various locations on the Earth.

At anyone time, near sea level, how much is visible? My guess is that much less than half is visible, with the rest being blocked from view by the earth. Is that correct? How small a portion are we viewing when we look up?

And over the course of a year, it seems that different parts of the Earth would see a larger or smaller proportion of the whole. For example, if one were at the north pole, one would see nearly the same portion of the sky every night for half a year, and see nothing the other half due to the sun. If one were on the equator instead, one would see huge new vistas as the Earth traveled around the Sun, depending on the time of year.

So how small is this "at anyone time" portion, and do people at the equator see pretty much everything over the course of a year, or is a significant portion still invisible, even to them? Do people at the equator ever see the North Star?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
At anyone time you see half of the sky. Why do you think it is less? You need to remember that the "celestial sphere" is effectively infinitely far away. Actually, since the Earth is round, if you are a non-zero distance off of the ground, you actually see slightly more than half the sky, as the attached diagram shows.

If you ignore the sun for the moment, then over the course of one day how much of the sky you see depends on where on the Earth you are, as you said. At the poles, you only see half the sky, while at the equator, you see it all. If you are at the equator, the north star is sitting on the horizon.

Attachments

• sky.pdf
    15.5 KB · Views: 915
At sea, you can see slightly more than one half of the celestial sphere... refraction of the atmosphere let's you see slightly below the horizon, neglecting crud in the air between you and whatever you are looking at.

tfr000 said:
At sea, you can see slightly more than one half of the celestial sphere... refraction of the atmosphere let's you see slightly below the horizon, neglecting crud in the air between you and whatever you are looking at.

Which is not quite negligible.
This:
http://www.icq.eps.harvard.edu/ICQExtinct.html
suggests 3...4 magnitudes extinction at 4 degrees altitude... which would make Polaris hard to see.

Thanks guys. This sort of info is exactly what i was wondering about.

phyzguy said:
At anyone time you see half of the sky.

Now I'm maybe even more confused. I'm under the impression that the Earth blocks out much of the night sky.

So if you always see 1/2 of the night sky, then please tell me if this follows:

If you are standing at the North Pole, and compare what you see with your friend at the equator, then you see all the stars that are directly above his head, and all along the line that forms the equator, and you see all the stars north of that line. Similarly, Polaris is directly above your head, and Polaris is visible to your friend at the Equator.

I still don't get it. I would think that you could only see stars that are "north" of a plane tangent to the Earth, and that you would not be able to see stars that are directly over the equator. The diagram you attached shows the "Theoretical Horizon" as just such a tangent plane. For values of h equal to a couple of meters, it seems like much of the night sky would be blocked out, much more than half, and that Polaris would NOT be visible at the equator when it is nearly straight up over the north pole.

I'm sorry if I am being dense. Am I missing something obvious? Is Polaris always visible at the Equator, low on the North horizon? Why isn't it well below the Theoretical Horizon?

Last edited:
EskWIRED said:
If you are standing at the North Pole, and compare what you see with your friend at the equator, then you see all the stars that are directly above his head, and all along the line that forms the equator, and you see all the stars north of that line. Similarly, Polaris is directly above your head, and Polaris is visible to your friend at the Equator.

This is true. However, you would also be able to see stars that are on the other side of the Earth that your friend cannot see. Ignoring things like hills, mountains, and trees, you would be able to see Polaris if you stood at the equator. It would be very, very close to the horizon and would stay there as the Earth rotates. You would also be able to see all the way to the southern celestial pole.

A person standing at the north pole would be able to see everything above the celestial equator all at once, but would never be able to see anything in the southern celestial hemisphere. The reverse is true for someone standing at the south pole.

I still don't get it. I would think that you could only see stars that are "north" of a plane tangent to the Earth, and that you would not be able to see stars that are directly over the equator. The diagram you attached shows the "Theoretical Horizon" as just such a tangent plane. For values of h equal to a couple of meters, it seems like much of the night sky would be blocked out, much more than half, and that Polaris would NOT be visible at the equator when it is nearly straight up over the north pole.

I'm sorry if I am being dense. Am I missing something obvious? Is Polaris always visible at the Equator, low on the North horizon?

You're not factoring in the distance between us and the stars. A plane tangent to the surface of the Earth at the north pole is practically identical to a plane that passes through the equator. For objects close by, such as the Moon, other planets, and asteroids, the difference in the few thousand miles between the two planes is easily noticeable. This is why eclipses only cover part of the Earth instead of the whole thing, and also why the transit of an asteroid across Regulus a few days ago was only visible in parts of the Eastern U.S.

At the multi-lightyear distances of the stars, this parallax is not easily noticeable. At least not without high precision instruments out in space like the Hipparcos and Gaia space observatories. And even these rely on the much larger change in position that results from our orbit around the Sun.

Thanks. Yes indeed, that is what I was failing to realize.

I opened my world clock apps clicked "+" and it gave me a globe. Rough estimate of my coordinate is 27N49E. After sundown I could see the Orion overhead, and Canopus low in the south about 10 degrees above the horizon, facing north I could see Polaris about 20 degrees above the horizon and it is in between two constellations.. Cassiopeia at the left and the Big Dipper tail down at the right of Polaris. My android compass from playstore said I'm facing the right direction. Before dawn when the Orion had set I could see the Scorpion in the south eastern sky, and Cassiopeia and Big Dipper switched position, Big Dipper tail up at the left of Polaris and Cassiopeia at the right. I think I have a fair share of night sky though light pollution from oil refineries mess it up :D

The other thing that you should consider is that the portion of the entire sky which the sun has influence over (visibly) is quite small. Eg, an hour after the sun goes down, the entire sky is dark enough to see stars in all directions, and vice versa, a hour before the sun comes up you are able to see stars in all directions. So on the equator at around this time (the equinox), you are literally able to view 90% of the entire night time sky in one night! And at my latitude (35deg south) I can see the 90% minus the 35deg either side of the north celestial pole.

Damo

1. How much of the night sky can be seen from different locations on Earth?

The amount of the night sky that is visible from various locations on Earth depends on several factors, including the location's latitude, light pollution, and atmospheric conditions. Generally, the higher the latitude, the more of the night sky can be seen. Areas with less light pollution will also have a clearer and more expansive view of the night sky. Additionally, weather conditions such as cloud cover and humidity can affect visibility.

2. Can the entire night sky be seen from any location on Earth?

No, it is not possible to see the entire night sky from any single location on Earth. This is because the Earth is constantly rotating, which means that different parts of the night sky are visible at different times. Additionally, some celestial objects, such as stars and constellations, are only visible from certain latitudes.

3. How does the Earth's rotation affect the visibility of the night sky?

The Earth's rotation causes the night sky to appear to move across the sky. This means that different parts of the night sky will be visible at different times throughout the night. For example, if you are in the Northern Hemisphere, the North Star (Polaris) will always be visible in the northern part of the sky because it is located near the Earth's axis of rotation.

4. How does light pollution affect the visibility of the night sky?

Light pollution from cities and other sources can greatly impact the visibility of the night sky. The bright lights can make it difficult to see faint stars and can even wash out the visibility of some constellations. Areas with less light pollution, such as rural or remote areas, will have a clearer and more expansive view of the night sky.

5. Can the visibility of the night sky be affected by weather conditions?

Yes, weather conditions such as cloud cover, humidity, and air pollution can greatly impact the visibility of the night sky. Cloud cover can block the view of stars and other celestial objects, while high humidity can make the air hazy and affect visibility. Air pollution can also make the night sky appear less clear and vibrant. Ideally, a clear and dry night with minimal air pollution will provide the best visibility of the night sky.