Force fields and law of conversation of energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force fields and the law of conservation of energy. The question is raised why force fields, such as magnetic, electric, and gravitational fields, are not considered a violation of this law. It is then suggested that energy is the result of these forces interacting with objects, rather than the other way around. However, another participant in the conversation clarifies that the fields themselves have energy and momentum, and that the overall energy and momentum is conserved when considering all interactions mediated by the field.
Entanglement
Why aren't force fields such as magnetic, electric and gravitational fields considered as a violation to law of conversation of energy?? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would they be?

Drakkith said:
Why would they be?
After I wrote the topic It came on my mind that my question is illogical since all these forces arise due to the potential gained by the body.

Actually I think energy is the result of these forces interacting with objects, not the other way around.

Drakkith said:
Actually I think energy is the result of these forces interacting with objects, not the other way around.

No, the OP had it correct. Given a field, the forces on particles coupling to the field arise from derivatives of the coupling term(s). In the simplest cases (e.g. EM), this would be (minus the) the gradient of the potential energy. A more general treatment can be found in the formalism of classical field theory.

The fields themselves have energy and momentum (dynamic fields anyways), this combined with the energy and momentum of the matter fields is conserved assuming all interactions are mediated by the field.

1. What is a force field?

A force field is a region of space where an object experiences a force due to the presence of another object. This force can be either attractive or repulsive, and is typically described by the strength and direction of the force at any given point in space.

2. How do force fields relate to the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In the context of force fields, this means that the total amount of energy within a system remains constant, even as objects within the system experience forces from the field.

3. Are there different types of force fields?

Yes, there are different types of force fields, including gravitational, electric, and magnetic fields. Each type of field is characterized by the type of force it exerts and the objects that are affected by it.

4. How is the strength of a force field determined?

The strength of a force field is determined by the properties of the objects creating the field, such as their mass or charge. The closer an object is to the source of the field, the stronger the force it will experience.

5. Can force fields be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, force fields can be manipulated or controlled through the use of external forces or by changing the properties of the objects creating the field. This can be done through the application of other forces, such as by using a magnet to control a magnetic field, or by changing the charge of an object to alter an electric field.