Vibrating String and Electrons: Exploring Wave Function

In summary, when an electron is confined to move in one dimension between two fixed walls, its allowed wave function resembles that of a vibrating string. The probability of finding the electron is proportional to the square of the magnitude of the wave function, so the electron is most likely to be found where the magnitude is largest and least likely to be found where it is smallest.
suzy
Hello ^.^

Here is my question~~

" A vibrating string fixed at both ends displays a standing wave pattern. An example is shown in picture below. If an electron is confined to move in one dimension between two fixed walls, one of its allowed wave functions looks exactly like that in picture. Where is the electron in this quantum state most and least likely to be found? "

http://capa6.phy.ohiou.edu/psc105/gif/f2h.gif

What i don't understand is that how can a vibrating string can have an electron? I thought that vibrating string just have a wave.

Sorry about my bad english, english isn't my first language, but hope u all can understand what I'm trying to say.

Thanks for ur help.

Suzy ^.^

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They're not saying that an electron is a vibrating string. They're saying that the wavefunction of a confined electron has the same shape as a vibrating string. Given that, you need to use the fact that the probability of finding a particle at a given location is proportional to the square of the magnitude of the wavefunction at that point. So you need to look for where the wavefunction's magnitude is largest or smallest.

thanks for the reply.

So the electron in this quantum state most likely to be found where the wavefunction's magnititude is largest.
And least likely to be found where magnititude is smallest.

thanks

Suzy ^.^

1. What is a vibrating string?

A vibrating string is a physical object that produces sound when it is plucked or struck. It consists of a long, thin piece of material, such as a guitar string, that is stretched between two fixed points. When the string is set in motion, it vibrates at a specific frequency, creating audible sound waves.

2. How does a vibrating string produce sound?

When a vibrating string moves back and forth, it creates compressions and rarefactions in the surrounding air. These changes in air pressure travel as sound waves, which our ears perceive as sound. The pitch or frequency of the sound depends on the length, tension, and density of the string.

3. What is an electron's wave function?

An electron's wave function is a mathematical description of its quantum state. It represents the probability of finding the electron at a particular location or having a certain amount of energy. The wave function is a complex-valued function that is used to calculate the behavior and properties of electrons in quantum mechanics.

4. How is the vibrating string analogous to an electron's wave function?

Just like how the vibrating string has a specific frequency associated with it, an electron's wave function also has a specific energy associated with it. The shape and behavior of the vibrating string can be described by mathematical equations, similarly, the behavior and properties of electrons can be described by their wave function.

5. How do scientists use wave functions to study electrons?

Scientists use wave functions to study electrons in quantum mechanics by solving mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, which describe the behavior and properties of electrons. By understanding the wave function, scientists can make predictions about the behavior and interactions of electrons in different systems, helping us to better understand the fundamental nature of matter.