What happens if you only get 1 solution to a 2nd Order Diff EQ?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution to a problem involving repeated roots in the auxiliary equation. One method proposed is to write the solution in the form of y = Ae^r1t + Be^r2t and then let r2 approach r1, yielding the solution proposed by Benorin.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm slightly confused on this problem, when i factored it and solved for r, i came out with only 1 answer, r = -13/72
Here is my problem and work:
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/685/lastscan15uk.jpg

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you get repeated roots in your auxilary equation, e.g.

[tex]y^{\prime\prime}-2y^{\prime}+1=0[/tex]

has the auxilary equation

[tex]r^{2}-2r+1=0[/tex] so [tex](r-1)^2=0[/tex]

and hence r=1 (with multiplicity 2) so the general solution is of the form

[tex]y=Ae^t+Bte^t[/tex]

The roots of the equation

[tex]5184r^2+1827r+169=0[/tex]

are [tex]r=-\frac{13}{72}[/tex] (with multiplicity 2) so your general solution is of the form...

Last edited:
One way to see why the method proposed by Benorin is valid would be to write your solution as

[tex]y = A e^{r_1 t} + B e^{r_2 t}[/tex]

and apply the initial conditions to determine the coefficients. Then let [itex]r_2[/itex] approach [itex]r_1 = r[/itex] (the root of your actual equation). Usually, l'Hopital's Rule can be applied to yield Benorin's solution.

Thanks guys, i don't know if its right or not, but i think my method is right:
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6219/lastscan0ku.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a 2nd Order Differential Equation?

A 2nd Order Differential Equation (Diff EQ) is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.

2. What does it mean to get only 1 solution to a 2nd Order Diff EQ?

Getting only 1 solution to a 2nd Order Diff EQ means that there is only one possible function that satisfies the equation. This can happen when the equation has a unique solution or when the initial conditions are such that there is only one possible solution.

3. Is it common to get only 1 solution to a 2nd Order Diff EQ?

No, it is not common to get only 1 solution to a 2nd Order Diff EQ. In most cases, there are multiple solutions to these types of equations. However, there are certain conditions and constraints that can result in a unique solution.

4. What are some possible reasons for getting only 1 solution to a 2nd Order Diff EQ?

There are several possible reasons for getting only 1 solution to a 2nd Order Diff EQ. One reason could be that the equation has a unique solution, meaning that there is only one possible function that satisfies the equation. Another reason could be that the initial conditions given restrict the possible solutions to only one.

5. How do you determine if a 2nd Order Diff EQ has only 1 solution?

To determine if a 2nd Order Diff EQ has only 1 solution, you can solve the equation using standard techniques, such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients. If you end up with only one possible function that satisfies the equation, then it has only 1 solution. Additionally, you can check the initial conditions to see if they restrict the solutions to only one.