Can extreme exposure to allergies cause a fever?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of allergies and how the body responds to them. It is mentioned that allergies can cause a fever and cold-like symptoms, and that getting enough allergens in the system can trigger an immune response. The speaker also mentions their son's experience with allergies and how they have improved with shots. The conversation ends with a discussion about a current bad allergy season and a widespread cold.
wasteofo2
On Friday, I was outside nearly all day. I have bad allergies, and supposedly, the past few days have been particularly bad for allergins. Things that don't usually bloom together are, and pollen counts are supposed to be very high.

Anyway, Friday I felt kinda crappy, just cause my body was being raped by allergins all day. Saturday, I got a fever, and I felt like I had a cold. Today, I'm feeling almost all better.

So I was wondering, if you get enough allergins in your system, will your body treat it like any other antigens and pump up the heat to try to kill off the invaders?

Biology news on Phys.org
Hypersensitivity or type one allergies is just as you described here. The body reconises these proteins as foreign bodies and you B-lymphocytes produce anti bodies, this immuno response is identical to any other infection.

~H

Sounds reasonable to me...

The shots have helped my son, he no longer gets to the stage of feeling feverish. While he had slighter allergies when he was younger, after he turned 20 they hit him full force.

Hope you're feeling better by now. It's hard to say right now...in addition to the bad allergy season this year, there's also a nasty cold going around...the combined effect is really unpleasant.

1. Can extreme exposure to allergies cause a fever?

Yes, extreme exposure to allergies can cause a fever. When the body is exposed to an allergen, it triggers the release of histamine, which can lead to inflammation and an increase in body temperature.

2. How long does it take for a fever to develop after exposure to allergies?

The time it takes for a fever to develop after exposure to allergies can vary depending on the individual and the severity of the allergic reaction. In some cases, a fever may develop within a few hours, while in others it may take a day or more.

3. Can a fever caused by allergies be dangerous?

In most cases, a fever caused by allergies is not dangerous. However, if the fever is very high or persists for a long period of time, it may be a sign of a more serious allergic reaction and medical attention should be sought.

4. How can I tell if my fever is caused by allergies or an infection?

Fevers caused by allergies are usually low-grade and accompanied by other allergy symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing, and itchy eyes. Infections, on the other hand, may present with higher fever and additional symptoms such as body aches and fatigue.

5. What can I do to reduce a fever caused by allergies?

If the fever is mild, it can be treated with over-the-counter medications such as antihistamines or NSAIDs. It is also important to avoid further exposure to the allergen. If the fever is severe or does not improve, it is best to consult a healthcare professional.