How Do You Design a 4-Way LED Traffic Signal Circuit?

In summary, the conversation is about a beginner in electronics engineering wanting to build a 4 way LED traffic signal using discrete components. They mention their knowledge of 555 timer IC, multiplexers, demultiplexers, encoders, and decoders. They are seeking a circuit diagram and are given a link to a website with a circuit for a similar project. The conversation also mentions the option of using a microcontroller for the project.
mohdfasieh
Hello Genius guys,
I am beginner in the field of electronics engineering.Well i am planning to make LED TRAFFIC SIGNAL /i know the wroking of 555 timer ic iknow the working of Multiplexer,Demultiplexer,encoder ,decoder. well can u tell me the circuit diagram of LED TRAFFIC signal 4 way traffic signal .

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not into electronics yet, but I suspect that you'll have to provide more information. There are a lot of variations. For instance, most large-city units are computer controlled from a central location. Also, a busy street intersecting a quiet one will usually have a longer green on its side. Then there's the matter of advance/delay turn arrows and their attendant trigger sensors, whether or not the turn lane stays green along with the main ones or turns red, etc..

You can either build the traffic light project with discrete logic or with a microcontroller. Both approaches are valuable educational exercises. I still remember building one from discrete logic way back in school...

But I digress. To build the discrete logic one, you will need to write up a state diagram or at least a list of states that shows step-by-step how the lights all sequence. The list should include the amount of time between steps. Once you have that list, you build logic that takes the clock, divides it down to your human time scale (like 5 seconds per yellow light), and steps through the state diagram in sequence. If you haven't had state diagrams and logic design in your classes yet, just google it and you will get some good examples. I googled state diagram logic design tutorial, and got this useful list:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=state+diagram+logic+design+tutorial

The more modern way to do this exercise is to program a small microcontroller (uC) to do it, and drive the LEDs directly from the uC. You could get a Basic Stamp, for example, and program it in Basic (hence the name) or some other language.

http://www.parallax.com/

well i want to make this traffic signal by discrete components.please can u send me the ckt diagram please

mohdfasieh said:
Hello Genius guys,
I am beginner in the field of electronics engineering.Well i am planning to make LED TRAFFIC SIGNAL /i know the wroking of 555 timer ic iknow the working of Multiplexer,Demultiplexer,encoder ,decoder. well can u tell me the circuit diagram of LED TRAFFIC signal 4 way traffic signal .

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/page10.htm

Has a circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the benefits of using LED traffic signals compared to traditional incandescent lights?

LED traffic signals offer several benefits, including lower energy consumption, longer lifespan, and improved visibility. They also have faster response times, reducing the risk of accidents and improving traffic flow.

2. How does the design of LED traffic signals impact driver safety?

The design of LED traffic signals plays a crucial role in driver safety. LED lights are brighter and have better color consistency, making them easier for drivers to see and understand. The placement and size of the lights also affect driver visibility and comprehension.

3. How do you determine the appropriate size and placement of LED traffic signals?

The size and placement of LED traffic signals are determined by factors such as speed limit, visibility, and traffic volume. Traffic engineers use specific guidelines and regulations to determine the appropriate size and placement for maximum effectiveness and safety.

4. Can LED traffic signals be used in all weather conditions?

Yes, LED traffic signals are designed to withstand various weather conditions, including extreme temperatures, rain, and snow. They also have a built-in anti-glare feature to minimize the impact of sun glare on driver visibility.

5. How do LED traffic signals contribute to reducing carbon emissions?

LED traffic signals use significantly less energy than traditional incandescent lights, which reduces the demand for electricity and, in turn, reduces carbon emissions. They also have a longer lifespan, reducing the need for frequent replacements and further reducing their environmental impact.