How do you calculate the work done in an adiabatic process?

In summary, calculating the work done in an adiabatic process involves finding the change in thermal energy, which is equal to the work done. This can be done by integrating the pressure-volume relationship, where the adiabatic condition PV^\gamma = constant applies. Alternatively, the change in internal energy can be calculated by using the adiabatic condition in terms of temperature and integrating from the initial to final temperature. However, both methods require using the adiabatic condition to find the initial and final temperatures.
pivoxa15

I know change in thermal energy = work done.

which amounts to (f/2)Nk(change in T). But how do you get change in T?

Or is there another way to compute the work directly. The trouble is both the volume and temperture vary during the process.

Physics news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:

I know change in thermal energy = work done.

which amounts to (f/2)Nk(change in T). But how do you get change in T?

Or is there another way to compute the work directly. The trouble is both the volume and temperture vary during the process.

(1) [tex]W = \int PdV = nR\int TdV/V[/tex] (substituting P = nRT/V)

But the adiabatic condition [itex]PV^\gamma = nRTV^{\gamma-1} = K[/itex] applies, so (1) becomes:

[tex]W = K\int dV/V^{\gamma}[/tex]

Determine that integral for a particular volume change and that is the work.

AM

Likes DoobleD
But do you think it is easier to find the change in internal energy hence only change in temperture between the two states? This will give the work as Q=0.

Likes DoobleD
pivoxa15 said:
But do you think it is easier to find the change in internal energy hence only change in temperture between the two states?
You could take that approach. You apply the adiabatic condition in terms of temperature and integrate [itex]\int nC_vdT[/itex] from initial to final temperature. But you have to apply the adiabatic condition to find the initial and final temperatures.

That will give you the change in internal energy. You then equate that to the work done (since, as you point out, Q = 0, [itex]\Delta U = \Delta W[/itex].

But because you have to use the adiabatic condition [itex]T = K/nRV^{\gamma-1}[/itex] it is essentially the same calculation that I have set out above.

The integral:

[tex]K \int_{V_i}^{V_f} V^{-\gamma}dV[/tex]

is not that difficult to work out using antiderivative of [itex]V^{-\gamma}[/itex] = [itex]V^{-\gamma +1}/(-\gamma + 1)[/itex]

[tex]W = K(V_f^{1-\gamma} - V_i^{1-\gamma})/1-\gamma[/tex]

AM

Likes DoobleD
Andrew Mason said:
You could take that approach. You apply the adiabatic condition in terms of temperature and integrate [itex]\int nC_vdT[/itex] from initial to final temperature. But you have to apply the adiabatic condition to find the initial and final temperatures.

AM

I don't take the integral. I just use the adiabat relation to find the initial and end tempertures in terms of one temperture that I know the value to such as the initial temperture.

pivoxa15 said:
I don't take the integral. I just use the adiabat relation to find the initial and end tempertures in terms of one temperture that I know the value to such as the initial temperture.
The integral evaluates to [tex]nC_v(T_f - T_i)[/tex]. Is that not what you use? How do you find the beginning and end temperatures?

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
The integral evaluates to [tex]nC_v(T_f - T_i)[/tex].
Just to do the math to make my point clearer:

[tex]T= K/nRV^{\gamma-1}[/tex]

So:

(1) [tex]nC_v(T_f - T_i) = nC_v\frac{K}{nR}(V_f^{1-\gamma} - V_i^{1-\gamma})[/tex]

But [tex]C_v = C_p-R = C_v\gamma - R[/tex] so

[tex]C_v = \frac{R}{\gamma-1}[/tex]

Substituting in (1):

[tex]nC_v(T_f - T_i) = \frac{K}{(\gamma-1)}(V_f^{1-\gamma} - V_i^{1-\gamma})[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]\Delta U = -\Delta W[/tex]

AM

Last edited:
I have the same problem but is K a constant?

Oh I wasn't sure! Thanks!

is that little symbol 7/5 for diatomic? and 5/3 for monatomic?

i got a really small number...

whoops. silly me. k is just a constant, from adiabatic condition [itex]pV^\gamma[/itex]=constant

let me try that and see how that works.

hold on i have 2 differnt pressures and volumes and i have K=pV^alpha...which do i use or what do I do.

there is my problem...

What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is one in which there is no transfer of heat between the system and its surroundings. This means that the change in energy of the system is solely due to work done on or by the system.

How is work defined in an adiabatic process?

Work in an adiabatic process is defined as the product of the force applied to the system and the distance over which the force is applied. In other words, work = force x distance.

What is the equation for calculating work in an adiabatic process?

The equation for calculating work in an adiabatic process is W = PΔV, where W is work, P is pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume of the system.

Can work be negative in an adiabatic process?

Yes, work can be negative in an adiabatic process. This occurs when the system does work on its surroundings, such as when a gas expands against an external pressure.

How do you calculate the work done in an adiabatic process with a changing pressure?

If the pressure of the system changes during the adiabatic process, then the work can be calculated by integrating the equation W = PdV over the volume range of the process. This requires knowledge of the pressure-volume relationship for the specific system.