What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Chef.gif
Don't you worry about me not cooking. Just remember I'm going to need some sweet lovin' down by the fire after dinner. :!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tom Mattson said:
Don't you worry about me not cooking. Just remember I'm going to need some sweet lovin' down by the fire after dinner. :!)
Hmmm...it just occurred to me that you've never posted a picture of yourself. :uhh: Oh well...just keep cooking and I'll get used to that third eye and hump. :biggrin:

Yeah I was going to keep up the mystique until my 5th PF anniversary, but since 2 PF'ers have met me in person my secret has been compromised anyway. I'll see about posting a pic soon. Or not. It will depend on if I can get that 3rd eye edited out.

Tom Mattson said:
Yeah I was going to keep up the mystique until my 5th PF anniversary, but since 2 PF'ers have met me in person my secret has been compromised anyway. I'll see about posting a pic soon. Or not. It will depend on if I can get that 3rd eye edited out.
Hmmm...speaking of which, when is the next PF Chicago gathering?

Tom Mattson said:

Wow! Honestly that's exqactly the way I imagined you... o:)

I'll see about posting a pic soon.
And we all know SOON means NEVER!:devil:

Moonbear said:
Hmmm...speaking of which, when is the next PF Chicago gathering?

I can't break away until next Thansgiving. :frown:

I'm trying to imagine Chef from South Park teaching calculus. :rofl: I wonder how often Tom breaks into song.

Math Is Hard said:
I'm trying to imagine Chef from South Park teaching calculus. :rofl: I wonder how often Tom breaks into song.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't sing like chef in class because girls don't take calculus. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Oooh. :approve:

I want to marry someone too!
I've got just the guy for you. I'll have to go look him up because he doesn't have a phone. He's a motivational speaker and he lives in a van down by the river. You may have seen him on TV.

:rofl:

turbo-1 said:
I've got just the guy for you. I'll have to go look him up because he doesn't have a phone. He's a motivational speaker and he lives in a van down by the river. You may have seen him on TV.

:rofl:
Thanks for the offer, but, I think I'll pass. :biggrin:

Lisa! said:
And we all know SOON means NEVER!:devil:

Check out the Member Photo Thread.

Anyone remember when this thread was about food?

Tom Mattson said:
I don't sing like chef in class because girls don't take calculus. :biggrin:
Things must be very different here in SoCal. We have as many gals as guys in the calculus classes. Most of the students in my calc classes were planning on going into medicine, and that career path seems to attract as many women as men, so it wasn't surprising to me to see an even split between M and F students.

ok, now back to food..

Last edited:
OK, back to food. I just spent a few hours cleaning out and rebuilding my old Charbroil grill with new burner, new coal grate, new cooking grid, and I wire-brushed the warming rack to get the rust off. That grill throws a lot more heat with the new burner. With the corroded burner head, it was getting hard to get the steaks to come out just right (seared good on the outside, rare in the middle).

I also got a new water pan for my Brinkman smoker (charcoal-fired). I'm planning on hickory-smoking some pork spare ribs this weekend and having some family over for a cookout. Since the pan hadn't arrived in time for Father's Day, I had to borrow my brother-in-law's electrically-heated Brinkman to smoke a turkey. It seemed to take forever and the flavor was just not as good as the ones we've smoked over charcoal.

Tonight I am making chicken quesadillas...quesdadillas stuffed with chicken, cheese, onions, green peppers baked in the oven and served with sour cream and salsa...yum.

Tom Mattson said:
Check out the Member Photo Thread.
Ooh...I can't believe you've been hiding from us so long! :!)

Anyone remember when this thread was about food?
I don't know about anyone else, but my mouth is watering. :wink:

It's probably just as well the women aren't taking calculus with Tom; they'd never be able to pay attention anyway. :biggrin:

scorpa said:
Tonight I am making chicken quesadillas...quesdadillas stuffed with chicken, cheese, onions, green peppers baked in the oven and served with sour cream and salsa...yum.
Sounds tasty and simple. :approve:

I'm doing a lot of cooking this weekend. Tomorrow, my brother and his family and my father are joining us for the afternoon, and I am making hickory-smoked BBQ pork spare ribs. My brother is making a batch of cheese-stuffed jalapeno poppers (his poppers make the store-bought stuff look really lame). Then Sunday the charcoal smoker comes out again. I've got a 14# turkey to smoke for a couple of my wife's sisters and their husbands. The ladies generally split up the salad/casserole/dessert duties, but the meat is MINE.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I don't know about anyone else, but my mouth is watering. :wink:
I thought the term was 'drooling'. :rofl: :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
I'm doing a lot of cooking this weekend. Tomorrow, my brother and his family and my father are joining us for the afternoon, and I am making hickory-smoked BBQ pork spare ribs. My brother is making a batch of chesse-stuffed jalapeno poppers (his poppers make the store-bought stuff look really lame). Then Sunday the charcoal smoker comes out again. I've got a 14# turkey to smoke for a couple of my wife's sisters and their husbands. The ladies generally split up the salad/casserole/dessert duties, but the meat is MINE.
That sounds like a great time turbo! :approve:

turbo-1 said:
I'm doing a lot of cooking this weekend. Tomorrow, my brother and his family and my father are joining us for the afternoon, and I am making hickory-smoked BBQ pork spare ribs. My brother is making a batch of chesse-stuffed jalapeno poppers (his poppers make the store-bought stuff look really lame). Then Sunday the charcoal smoker comes out again. I've got a 14# turkey to smoke for a couple of my wife's sisters and their husbands. The ladies generally split up the salad/casserole/dessert duties, but the meat is MINE.
Sounds yummy! Can you get us the recipe for the jalapeno poppers? What batter does he use, what cheese filling, etc? I love jalapeno poppers, and it would be cool to know how to make my own. :approve:

Moonbear said:
Sounds yummy! Can you get us the recipe for the jalapeno poppers? What batter does he use, what cheese filling, etc? I love jalapeno poppers, and it would be cool to know how to make my own. :approve:
Hi, Moonie! I never before asked him what he used, but now that I did, I am ashamed to say that they can be made with NO effort or fuss. He splits jalapeno peppers lengthwise (the bigger the better) and cuts out all the seeds and the webbing to reduce the hotness. He stuffs them with a mixture of crispy, crumbled bacon and Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese, then tops that with shredded Monterey Jack, and he cooked them on my grill (on a pizza pan) at low heat until the Jack was slightly browned. Those disappeared quickly, as usual.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Hi, Moonie! I never asked him what he used, but now that I did, I am ashamed to say that they can be made with NO effort or fuss. He splits jalapeno peppers lengthwise (the bigger the better) and cuts out all the seeds and the webbing to reduce the hotness. He stuffs them with a mixture of crispy, crumbled bacon and Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese, then tops that with shredded Monterey Jack, and he cooked them on my grill (on a pizza pan) at low heat until the Jack was slightly browned. Those disappeared quickly, as usual.
So, they're cooked without a batter?

I used to buy stuffed jalepenos imported from Mexico, they were mild and were stuffed with shrimp, and one other variety, which escapes me right now. I can't find them outside of Texas. :frown:

Evo said:
Oooh. :approve:

I want to marry someone too!

Maybe we should have a "who would you marry" thread. :biggrin:

Maybe I'll marry cyrus, he has crabcakes. Or wolram, he's a good cook. But Penqwuino is learning to cook. Arildno has great pickles...it could be a "marriage of convenience". :smile:

I would treat you best :biggrin:

wolram said:
I would treat you best :biggrin:
Be careful what you wish for. :smile:

http://www.funweddings.com/index.php?p1=Evo&p2=Wolram&who=bride&wit=Moonbear+%26+MIH&action=3&Submit=Click+Here+For+Your+Marriage+Certificate

turbo-1 said:
Hi, Moonie! I never before asked him what he used, but now that I did, I am ashamed to say that they can be made with NO effort or fuss. He splits jalapeno peppers lengthwise (the bigger the better) and cuts out all the seeds and the webbing to reduce the hotness. He stuffs them with a mixture of crispy, crumbled bacon and Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese, then tops that with shredded Monterey Jack, and he cooked them on my grill (on a pizza pan) at low heat until the Jack was slightly browned. Those disappeared quickly, as usual.
Oh, that sounds really good and easy (and certainly is no reason to be ashamed)! I was expecting batter or breading of some sort and deep frying. I think I'll have to get the ingredients next time I go grocery shopping and give it a try. :approve:

The peaches are ripe, I just picked a bushel. I hope Spawn and her boyfriend like peaches. I'm supposed to go over to her place tomorrow and cook some new recipe for tomato soup she found. Must be quite some recipe.

This is the first year I've been able to salvage any, usually the birds, or these humongous ants get to them first. :grumpy: This year I've been checking them daily, when I saw the first ant, I tried one and they were ripe.

Now I'm waiting for the pears.

Evo said:
This year I've been checking them daily, when I saw the first ant, I tried one and they were ripe.
:rofl: That's the first time I've heard of someone using ants to tell when their fruit is ripe. I guess they were waiting for it to ripen before eating it too. :rofl:

I had never heard of giant fruit ants, but the damned things know when they're ripe.

Mushroom pudding, best made with mushrooms from a field where horses are kept, but any wild mushrooms are ok.

Ingredients

suet crust pastry:

8oz/225g self-raising flour
1tbsp chopped parsley
4oz suet
pinch of salt
4floz/120ml water

filling:

2 tbsp olive oil
4 shallots, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
About 10 oz wild mushrooms
4floz/120ml red wine
freshly ground black pepper

Method

1. First prepare the filling. Heat the oil and add the shallots, cook for a few minutes then add the bay leaves and continue cooking over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme and mushrooms, cook gently and stir in the wine.

2. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 15 minutes. Season

3. Now make the pastry: Mix the flour, parsley, suet and salt. Add the water and mix with a fork to make a dough. Knead and roll out to a circle to line a greased 2 pint/1.2 litre pudding basin.

4. Cut off a quarter of the pastry and reserve for the lid. Line the dish with the remaining pastry. Dampen the edges with water.

5. Fill with the prepared mushroom mixture, and roll out the remaining pastry to form a lid. Press the edges together to seal. Cover with greased foil and tie with string.

6. Steam for about 1½ hours. Serve with potatoes, and carrots.

Sounds yummy, Wollie...all except for where you recommend finding the mushrooms. :uhh: I'm not sure that I want my mushrooms mingling with fresh horse manure (composted, okay, but not the fresh stuff).

The mushrooms do not actually grow in the (fresh) horse muck MoonB,
often times you will not see any, and if you want big fat juicy strong tasting
mushrooms it is the best place to look.

Dandelion coffee, we used to drink it, the leaves are also nice in salads.

Dig up the roots autumn time.

Fresh or dried roots can be used, and they should be placed on a baking tray and roasted in the middle of a quite slow oven. Dried roots will take about an hour, fresh ones will take longer.

The pieces will need turning to ensure an even rusty brown colour.

Once the roots have been roasted, they can be ground up and used, one teaspoon a cup.

Evo said:
I had never heard of giant fruit ants, but the damned things know when they're ripe.
What about your fruitbat ... maybe it can help too.:smile:

arunbg said:
What about your fruitbat ... maybe it can help too.:smile:
Funny you mention the fruitbat, he's gone wild over these peaches! Every time I bring one out, he perches next to me and starts freaking out until I give him some. If he could climb that tree, he'd have it cleaned of peaches in a few minutes.