Pseudoephedrine/Diphenhydramine (drug interaction?)

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interaction
In summary, the conversation revolved around the individual's cold symptoms and their use of various medications to alleviate them. They discussed the effectiveness of different medications, such as Sudafed and Claritin-D, and the potential interactions between them. They also joked about the awkwardness of purchasing medication at a pharmacy and made references to other unrelated products. Ultimately, they disagreed on the effectiveness of Claritin-D, with some finding it helpful and others finding it useless.
FrogPad
I am sick right now :frown:

I just have cold symptoms, sneezing, runny nose, coughing, etc...

I took some Sudafed 12 hour with the active ingredient, Pseudoephedrine.
Since I took it my nose is running out of control, I am sneezing non stop, it's like someone opened up a faucet (not to be gross).

This might be nice if I could lay in bed and blow my nose all day, but I have a ton of homework to get done.

Would there be a problem with me taking Tylenol Allergy (active ingredient Diphenhydramine). This stuff is supposed to:
"It prevents sneezing; itchy, watery eyes and nose; and other symptoms of allergies and hay fever."

while Pseudoephedrine is supposed to:
"It constricts (shrinks) blood vessels (veins and arteries). This reduces the blood flow to certain areas, which decreases swelling and allows nasal and respiratory (breathing) passages to open up."

They seem like they might clash, so I thought I should ask if it is cool to take both.

Any suggestions?

It looks like Claritin-D uses a decongestant/antihistamine combo... so I'm thinking it is ok.

Physics news on Phys.org
FrogPad said:
It looks like Claritin-D uses a decongestant/antihistamine combo... so I'm thinking it is ok.
Claritan - D does not work, trust me, don't waste your money.

The only thing that worked for me was Actifed,with triprolydine, but it's no longer on the market in the original formula, thanks to the clever move by authorities to put it behind the counter and have you sign for it. The manufacturer decidded to change the formula so it could be sold over the counter.

I haven't found anything that really works well so far. I feel your pain. :frown:

Get something with chlorpheniramine in it.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Claritan - D does not work, trust me, don't waste your money.

The only thing that worked for me was Actifed,with triprolydine, but it's no longer on the market in the original formula, thanks to the clever move by authorities to put it behind the counter and have you sign for it. The manufacturer decidded to change the formula so it could be sold over the counter.

I haven't found anything that works so far. I feel your pain. :frown:

Yeah no fun :frown:

Why can't colds come around when there is nothing going on? :smile:

Yeah, the pseudephedrine/diphenhydramine combination is common in cold remedies, but the diphenhydramine will make you drowsy.

And, yeah, Claritin is useless. I gave it a try recently, because I don't really have bad allergies, just this time of year I get a mildly stuffy nose when I wake up, which I can tolerate, but just makes me even more reluctant to get up in the morning, and even though I know it doesn't work for people who have bad allergies, I thought that since my symptoms are so mild, maybe it would work for me; I got the 12 hour one and took it before bed so it should be working when I wake up. Nope. It doesn't do a thing.

So, back to feeling like a felon having to go the pharmacy counter to request sudafed. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Yeah, the pseudephedrine/diphenhydramine combination is common in cold remedies, but the diphenhydramine will make you drowsy.

And, yeah, Claritin is useless. I gave it a try recently, because I don't really have bad allergies, just this time of year I get a mildly stuffy nose when I wake up, which I can tolerate, but just makes me even more reluctant to get up in the morning, and even though I know it doesn't work for people who have bad allergies, I thought that since my symptoms are so mild, maybe it would work for me; I got the 12 hour one and took it before bed so it should be working when I wake up. Nope. It doesn't do a thing.

So, back to feeling like a felon having to go the pharmacy counter to request sudafed. :rolleyes:

:smile: I know... they eye you so hard when you are purchasing medication. I think it's funny too, because I'll be in pajamas, my hair isn't done, I more than likely didn't shower, my eyes are red, and I don't make as much eye contact like usual. I look like a huge crack head.

Maybe next time I'll jokingly ask them how many boxes I can buy at once. If they say, "you can only buy one box at a time". I'll say something like, "so there are 20 pills in a container, so how many containers are in that one box?"
:smile:

FrogPad said:
:smile: I know... they eye you so hard when you are purchasing medication. I think it's funny too, because I'll be in pajamas, my hair isn't done, I more than likely didn't shower, my eyes are red, and I don't make as much eye contact like usual. I look like a huge crack head.
I keep thinking I should ask for a huge box of condoms and Monistat and maybe a Hustler magazine while I'm there, just to ease the embarrassment of having to request the sudafed.

MB + Box of Condoms + Hustler Magazine = An awesome time!

don't be blinded by her beauty. She's also buying Monistat...

you know what? I wrote that line and realized I have no idea what monistat is or does. so my line could be idiotic.

I had no clue what monistat was either, then I looked it up. Now I am not so sure if it will be that great of a time :cry:

Claritan D

I've got to disagree with Frog. Claritan D (24 hour) has done something no other OTC allergy medication has done. I just recently moved from Colorado to Illinois, with that move came an increased problem with my allergies and Asthama. Claritan D, gave me back my life. I can breath again, I have no sinus pressure headaches and my scratchy throat is gone and has stayed gone. Just 1 day and I'm free. I've had no adverse side effects at this time. Its a bit of a pain to go to the pharmacy to get it. But worth it.

:!) Hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.

1. What is the purpose of taking Pseudoephedrine and Diphenhydramine together?

Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant that helps to relieve nasal congestion caused by allergies or the common cold. Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine that helps to relieve symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes. When taken together, they can provide more effective relief for these symptoms.

2. Are there any potential side effects from taking Pseudoephedrine and Diphenhydramine together?

Yes, there can be potential side effects when taking these two drugs together. These may include dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, and increased heart rate. It is important to follow the recommended dosage and speak with a doctor if you experience any severe side effects.

3. Can Pseudoephedrine and Diphenhydramine be taken at the same time?

Yes, these two drugs can be taken at the same time. However, it is important to follow the recommended dosages and not exceed the maximum daily dosage for each drug. It is also recommended to wait a few hours in between taking each medication to avoid potential interactions.

4. Are there any drug interactions with Pseudoephedrine and Diphenhydramine?

Yes, there are some medications that may interact with Pseudoephedrine and Diphenhydramine. These include MAO inhibitors, other decongestants, and sedatives. It is important to inform your doctor of all medications you are taking before starting a new medication.

5. Is it safe to take Pseudoephedrine and Diphenhydramine if I have a medical condition?

It is important to consult with a doctor before taking these medications if you have any medical conditions, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, or glaucoma. These drugs may worsen certain conditions and your doctor can advise on the best course of treatment for your specific situation.