Calculating Impulse in a Baseball Pitch and Hit

In summary, a baseball pitcher throws a fastball with an angle of 5.67 degrees and a speed of 80.1 miles/hour. The ball (mass 0.145 kg) is hit back at an angle of 37.09 degrees with a speed of 108.5 miles/hour. To find the impulse received by the bat, the velocity vector must be decomposed into its x and y components. After adding the x and y components, the resulting velocity is 74.32 m/s. Using the formula for impulse, the change in momentum is calculated to be 11.78 kg m/s.
hbomb
A baseball pitcher delivers a fastball that crosses the plate with an angle of 5.67 degrees relative to the horizontal and a speed of 80.1 miles/hour. The ball (mass 0.145 kg) is hit back over the head of the pitcher at an angle of 37.09 degrees with respect to the horizontal and a speed of 108.5 miles/hour. What is the magnitude of the impulse received by the bat?

Ok, impulse is the change in momentum.
p=m(vf-vi)
But since the mass is pitched at an angle and is hit at an angle you need to decompose the velocity vector into it's y and x components.

vyi=(35.81)sin(180-5.67)=3.54 m/s
vxi=(35.81)cos(180-5.67)=-35.63 m/s

vyf=(48.50)sin(37.09)=29.25 m/s
vxf=(48.50)cos(37.09)=6.78 m/s

Add the x and y components to each other
y's=25.71 m/s
x's=42.41 m/s

Then find the velocity of the summed vectors
vf=sqr(vx^2+vy^2)=49.6 m/s

p=mv=(0.145 kg)(49.6 m/s)=7.192 kg m/s

When I enter this into my homework site for my class, it tells me this is the wrong answer. I'm I missing something here? At first I thought maybe I'm not suppose to find the difference between 180 and my angles for the intial velocties. So I tried it just with the original angles and I still get a wrong answer message. Please help.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2597/baseballyg4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I know very little about baseball (I'm a brit) but when that fastball is crossing the plate, is that the pitcher's plate,or the home plate ??

Home plate

hbomb said:
vxf=(48.50)cos(37.09)=6.78 m/s
that should be 38.69

hbomb said:
Add the x and y components to each other
y's=25.71 m/s
you subtracted instead of adding here.

What is the correct anwer, because I fixed the mistakes and I'm still getting a wrong answer message. Right now I have 29.25+3.54 for the y's because the vectors are going in the same direction. For the x's I have 38.69-35.63 because the vectors are going in opposite directions. I get 4.77 kg m/s for the impulse. Is this right?

You've been subtracting the x's instead of adding them.
Before impact, the ball has a speed of 35.63 m/s to the right (going by your diagram)
After impact, the ball has a speed of 38.69 m/s to the left (going by your diagram)
So the overall change in velocity (which is a vector) is the sum of the speeds = 74.32 m/s.

Edit: I get 11.78 kg m/s as the change in momemtum.

Last edited:

1. What is momentum and how is it related to change in momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity. The change in momentum refers to the difference between the initial and final momentum of an object, which can be caused by a force acting on the object.

2. What factors affect the change in momentum of an object?

The change in momentum of an object is affected by the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the object, as well as the mass and velocity of the object. The greater the force, the greater the change in momentum. Similarly, a larger mass or higher velocity will result in a greater change in momentum.

3. How does the law of conservation of momentum apply to changes in momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total change in momentum of all objects in a closed system must be equal to zero.

4. Can the change in momentum of an object be negative?

Yes, the change in momentum of an object can be negative. This means that the final momentum is less than the initial momentum, which indicates a decrease in the object's motion. This can occur when the force acting on the object is in the opposite direction of its initial motion.

5. How is change in momentum important in real life applications?

Change in momentum is important in various real-life applications, such as car safety. When a car collides with another object, the change in momentum can determine the severity of the impact. This is why car manufacturers design features such as airbags and crumple zones to reduce the change in momentum and protect the passengers. Change in momentum is also important in sports, as it determines the outcome of a collision between players or objects.