Exploring an Unexpected Wave Phenomenon in Physics Lab

In summary: If the wave generator is making a single longitudinal wave, that would be a compression followed immediately by an expansion (or vice-versa). The person releasing the bunched-up end would be creating a (I think) compression pulse with probably a different amplititude. If they meet in the middle, the two should pass each other without stopping, only momentarily creating an interference pattern, but only for a fraction of a second.If the "wave generator" person made a transverse wave, the I would have expected similar results, but with wierder motion as they passed each other.I wonder if you couldn't call it a "stationary soliton" or something
Gaijinja
Ok, first I'll mention that I'm completely new to these forms (first post) and all that jazz. Anyway, on to the subject of the post.

In my physics class (high school level only, mind you) we were doing a lab with long slinkies to show the properties of waves and such. Our teacher wanted us to try and measure the amplitude of a moving wave, both transversal and longitudinal, mainly to prove how hard it is. My lab partners and I discovered that if one person bunched up a lot of the slinky at one end (effectively making the slinky more taught) while the person on the other end of the slinky generated a wave of either type and then the person with the bunched up slinky let go, the wave effectively froze in place while the slinky sprung back to a less deformed position, allowing us a couple of seconds to quickly measure amplitude. When we showed our little trick to the teacher, he was quite impressed, and said that he was completely unfamiliar with that phenomena in waves. He claimed that we might be able to do some research on the subject, and get it published in a small science journal or something similar. Now, as much as I would like to get something published, I realize that this probably isn't a new discovery, however, I've been searching on google for awhile, and have not run across anything explaining this phenomena. I have read a bunch about Standing Waves, where two waves interfere in such a way as to create specific nodes that don't move. This, however, is not the phenomena we saw.

So, after that long introduction, my question is what is this phenomena and what is the math associated with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gaijinja said:
... while the person on the other end of the slinky generated a wave of either type and then the person with the bunched up slinky let go ...
If the "wave generator" person was making a single longitudinal wave, that would be a compression followed immediately by an expansion (or vice-versa). The person releasing the bunched-up end would be creating a (I think) compression pulse with probably a different amplititude. If they meet in the middle, the two should pass each other without stopping, only momentarily creating an interference pattern, but only for a fraction of a second.
If the "wave generator" person made a transverse wave, the I would have expected similar results, but with wierder motion as they passed each other.

Gaijinja said:
... allowing us a couple of seconds to quickly measure amplitude.
How did you measure the amplitude of the longitudinal wave? Wasn't it hard to choose the start and end points with any degree of accuracy?

Gaijinja said:
... the wave effectively froze in place ...
I wonder if you couldn't call it a "stationary soliton" or something like that, as impossible as it sounds. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soliton

my question is what is this phenomena and what is the math associated with it?
Magic. There is no math, only a random concentration of mana in the vicinity - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana :rofl:

Seriously, I got nothing.
If you do investigate it further, I'd suggest videotaping it in front of a wall with a grid pattern so you can freeze-frame it at various points, measure points of interest, and study the timing (eg. by counting video frame numbers).
Also come up with some mechanism for creating the pulses, which would then be adjustable and repeatable as far as timing and amplitude go, between one take and the next.
Maybe even paint contrasting dots on the slinky every 10th turn or so, in case the camera cannot resolve individual turns when they in motion.

It sounds like you're trying to suddenly decrease the tension in the slinky, ie., to suddenly decrease the wave velocity in the medium.

By the way, the slinky was "taut". You just can't teach a slinky anything!

cesiumfrog said:
It sounds like you're trying to suddenly decrease the tension in the slinky, ie., to suddenly decrease the wave velocity in the medium.
Yes, that's one of our hypotheses. The interesting thing to note was that regardless of how fast the wave was moving, it always froze when the tension was released.

HallsofIvy said:
By the way, the slinky was "taut". You just can't teach a slinky anything!
That's what you think.

planish said:
How did you measure the amplitude of the longitudinal wave? Wasn't it hard to choose the start and end points with any degree of accuracy?
Invariably so, but that was the point of the lab (showing how hard it is to measure dynamic waves), and is rather independent of the phenomena I've described.

Here's my theory.

When you release the taut end of the slinky, rings of the slinky must propagate in the opposite direction to the wave (to equalise the tension). In a manner of speaking, the 'velocity' of the medium is countering the velocity of the wave, which makes sense because both 'motions' are governed by the same parameters. The end result is a stationary wave during the period of tension equalisation.

I have a sudden urge to buy a slinky to try this out for some reason.

Claude.

Gaijinja said:
Yes, that's one of our hypotheses.

Gaijinja said:
what is the math associated with it?

I would expect to find a relation between tension and wave propagation speed written in one of your physics teacher's general textbooks, being a reasonably basic concept (eg. tuning of guitars). I do presume you can imagine a way to test this hypothesis?

Last edited:
cesiumfrog said:
I do presume you can imagine a way to test this hypothesis?
Yes I can, I was not asking for ideas, I was merely asking if it would be worth investing my time in, or if it was just a really basic phenomena my teacher just wasn't aware of.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses, they've all been very helpful.

Last edited:

1. What is the unexpected wave phenomenon being explored in the physics lab?

The unexpected wave phenomenon being explored in the physics lab is a phenomenon known as rogue waves. These are large and unpredictable waves that occur in the ocean, often causing damage to ships and other marine structures.

2. How are rogue waves different from regular waves?

Rogue waves are significantly larger than regular waves, often reaching heights of up to 30 meters. They also have a distinct shape and behavior, with a steep peak followed by a deep trough, making them particularly dangerous for ships.

3. What methods are being used to study rogue waves in the lab?

The lab is using various experimental methods, such as generating waves in a wave tank and measuring their height and behavior. They are also using computer simulations and mathematical models to better understand the underlying physics of rogue waves.

4. What are some potential real-world applications of studying rogue waves?

Studying rogue waves can help improve safety measures for ships and offshore structures, as well as aid in the design of more resilient structures. It can also provide insights into other wave phenomena and help advance our understanding of nonlinear dynamics.

5. What are some challenges in studying rogue waves in a laboratory setting?

One of the main challenges is replicating the complex and unpredictable nature of rogue waves in a controlled environment. Another challenge is accurately measuring and analyzing these large and fast-moving waves. Additionally, there may be limitations in the equipment and resources available in the lab.