Chem 2: Molecular Equilibria

Ng is the change in number of moles of gaseous products minus moles of gaseous reactants. In summary, the standard Gibb's free energy for the reaction N2+3H2<--->2NH3 is -33.0 KJ at 298 K. Using this information, the value of Kp for the reaction can be calculated by using the formula Kp=Kc(RT)^(delta Ng), where delta Ng is the change in number of moles of gaseous products minus moles of gaseous reactants. In this case, the value of Kp is 5.97x10^5.
CausativeAgent

Homework Statement

The standard Gibb's free energy for the reaction N2+3H2<--->2NH3 is -33.0 KJ at 298 K. Everything is a gas. Calculate Kp for this reaction.

Homework Equations

I have in my notes that Keq=e^(-Delta G/RT) where R is the constant 0.008314 KJ/K. I also have a formula that converts between Kp and Keq: Kp= Kc(.0821Xtemperature)^(Moles of gasseous products-moles of gasseous reactants).

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution was to use the first formula (which I think gives Kc) and then convert it into Kp using the second formula.
My answer ended up differing from the one given in my homework though. Here is my work:

Keq= e^(33.0/(0.008314x298)= 6.09x10^5

Kp= (6.09x10^5)(0.0821x298)^(-2) = not the correct answer

The answer is: Kp=5.97x10^5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think here, you have to use R=8.314 joules/mol . Keq can be calculated in the same way as you showed.

That is Kc. Kp=Kc(RT)^(delta Ng)

Your approach was correct, but there may have been a calculation error in converting from Keq to Kp. Here is the correct solution:

1. Calculate Keq using the first formula:
Keq = e^(-33.0/(0.008314*298)) = 6.09x10^-6 (note the negative exponent)

2. Use the second formula to convert from Keq to Kp:
Kp = (6.09x10^-6)(0.0821*298)^(2-4) = 5.97x10^5

Your answer differed because you used a positive exponent for the temperature in the second formula, which should be negative. Also, the moles of gaseous products and reactants were not specified in the problem, so you should leave them as variables in the formula. Hope this helps!

1. What is the concept of molecular equilibrium in chemistry?

Molecular equilibrium refers to a state in a chemical reaction where the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This means that the concentration of reactants and products remains constant over time.

2. How is the equilibrium constant (Kc) calculated?

The equilibrium constant (Kc) is calculated by taking the ratio of the concentration of products to the concentration of reactants at equilibrium. The concentrations must be raised to the power of their respective coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium position of a chemical reaction?

The equilibrium position of a chemical reaction is affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products. Altering any of these factors can shift the equilibrium to favor either the reactants or the products.

4. How does Le Chatelier's Principle apply to molecular equilibrium?

Le Chatelier's Principle states that when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a stress, it will shift to minimize the effect of the stress. In the case of molecular equilibrium, this means that if the concentration of reactants or products is changed, the equilibrium will shift to favor the side with the lower concentration.

5. Can a chemical reaction ever reach true equilibrium?

In theory, a chemical reaction can reach true equilibrium. However, in practical applications, equilibrium is often not reached due to factors such as impurities, side reactions, and incomplete mixing. Therefore, reactions are often considered to be at equilibrium when they reach a steady state where the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time.