Get Help with Enabling Internet Sharing on Mac

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, the conversation is about enabling personal web sharing on a Mac behind a router. The speaker is having trouble using their actual IP instead of a local one and is seeking help. They are advised to check their router settings and find their IP using a website or command prompt.
Mk
I enabled personal web sharing on my mac, but I'm behind a router and so I can only share with other computers behind my routers. That doesn't help very much, or I would just put on network sharing! I'm having trouble figuring out how to use an IP that is, uh, the real one, instead of a http://192.168.x.x local IP. Can somebody help me? :frown:

Thank you! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Ok so i don't know very much about macs, but I can help you with networking. From what I understand, you want to have other people, outside of your network to be able to connect to your mac? If so then make sure there is no encryption on your router and no mac filtering and everything should be good. I can't really understand what you're trying to get at but I think I answered correctly. Now for that IP thingy, on Windows you can find it by opening up command prompt and typing ipconfig /all, but for macs, i would just say go to h**p://whatsmyip.com and find it out there. The h**p://192.168.0.1 is the address of your router where you can edit settings such as ports open/closed, if your network is encrypted (secure), MAC filtering, etc. Please respond with a more clear question.

Hi there,

I understand your frustration with trying to enable internet sharing on your Mac. It can be a bit tricky, especially when dealing with routers. Have you tried reaching out to Apple Support for assistance? They may be able to walk you through the steps or provide a solution for using the real IP instead of a local one.

In the meantime, I suggest checking out some online forums or tutorials for tips and tricks on enabling internet sharing on a Mac. You may also want to consider reaching out to your internet service provider for guidance on setting up your network and sharing capabilities.

I hope you are able to find a solution soon. Best of luck!

What is internet sharing on a Mac?

Internet sharing on a Mac is a feature that allows you to share your Mac's internet connection with other devices, such as other computers, smartphones, or tablets.

How do I enable internet sharing on my Mac?

To enable internet sharing on your Mac, go to System Preferences and click on the Sharing icon. From there, select the "Internet Sharing" option and choose the connection you want to share, such as Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Finally, click on the checkbox next to "Internet Sharing" to enable it.

Why can't I see the internet sharing option on my Mac?

The internet sharing option may not be visible on your Mac if it does not have a Wi-Fi card or if the Wi-Fi card is not working properly. You can also check if your Mac is compatible with internet sharing by checking the system requirements for your specific model.

Can I share my Mac's internet connection with both Wi-Fi and Ethernet?

Yes, you can share your Mac's internet connection with both Wi-Fi and Ethernet. Simply enable internet sharing and select both options. Keep in mind that this may slow down your internet speed.

Is internet sharing on a Mac secure?

Internet sharing on a Mac can be secure if you set a password for your shared connection. This will prevent unauthorized access to your internet connection. However, it is always recommended to use a secure and encrypted internet connection when sharing it with others.