How do I find the equations of 2 parallel lines 2 units away from a given line?

In summary, two individuals are discussing the impact of technology on society. One argues that technology has made people more isolated and less connected, while the other argues that technology has improved communication and allowed people to connect with others globally. They also discuss the potential negative effects of technology on mental health and the importance of finding a balance in its usage.
Joza
When you have a line's equation, and are asked to find the equations of the 2 parallel lines to it, which are 2 units away...where do I start?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Joza said:
When you have a line's equation, and are asked to find the equations of the 2 parallel lines to it, which are 2 units away...where do I start?

Do you know what the slope and y-intercept (!) represent?

Hey its grand I solved it. It was just solving a quadratic from the perpendicular distance formula. My absolute value signs threw me off!

Thanks anyway!

1. How do I determine the slope of the given line?

To determine the slope of the given line, you can use the slope formula, which is (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are any two points on the line.

2. What is the equation of a line in slope-intercept form?

The slope-intercept form of a line is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept (the point where the line crosses the y-axis).

3. How do I find the equation of a line parallel to a given line?

To find the equation of a line parallel to a given line, you can use the fact that parallel lines have the same slope. So, you can use the slope of the given line and a point on the new line to write the equation in slope-intercept form.

4. How do I find the distance between two parallel lines?

To find the distance between two parallel lines, you can use the distance formula, which is d = |Ax + By + C|/√(A^2 + B^2), where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the equations of the lines.

5. How do I find the equations of two parallel lines 2 units away from a given line?

To find the equations of two parallel lines 2 units away from a given line, you can use the distance formula to determine the distance between the given line and the new lines. Then, you can use the slope of the given line to write the equations of the new lines in slope-intercept form.