Question regarding Damped, Driven Harmonic Oscillatis

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the driving frequencies at which the mechanical energy of a forced oscillation is one half of its maximum value. The approach involves using equations and calculations involving the mass, attractive and retarding forces, and a driving force. The forum member asks for external input and guidance on their approach and receives suggestions to double check calculations and provide more context and explanation.
Stellar1

Homework Statement

A mass m moves along the x-axis subject to an attractive force given by 17B^2mx/2 and a retarding force given by 3Bmx', where x is the distance from the origine and B is a costant. A driving force given by mAcos(wt), where A is a constant, is applied to the particle along the x-axis. Find the driving frequencies at which the mechanical energy of the forced oscillation is one half of its maximum value.

Homework Equations

E=1/2kA(w)^2

I just wanted to run this by you guys. It makes sense to me and I wanted to get external input. I calculated the amplitude of the oscillation with reference to omega and plugged that into the equation (lets call it 1/2kA(w')). What I did next was I derived the energy equation and found a value for w. I then equated 1/2kA(w)^2 with 1/4kA(w')) and solved for w. I ended up having to use the quadratic equation to find it. Does this sound right to you?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach seems to be on the right track. However, I would suggest double checking your calculations and equations to ensure that they are accurate. It may also be helpful to provide some more context and background information on the problem, such as the specific values of m, B, and A, as well as any other relevant information. This will help to ensure that your solution is complete and accurate.

Additionally, it may be helpful to provide a brief explanation of your thought process and reasoning behind your approach, as this will help others to understand and potentially provide feedback or alternative solutions.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and are on the right track towards finding a solution. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask for further clarification or assistance if needed. Good luck!

1. What is a Damped, Driven Harmonic Oscillator?

A damped, driven harmonic oscillator is a type of oscillating system that experiences both damping (frictional forces that decrease the amplitude of oscillation) and a driving force (an external force that causes the system to oscillate) in addition to the restoring force provided by a spring.

2. How does a Damped, Driven Harmonic Oscillator differ from a regular Harmonic Oscillator?

A regular harmonic oscillator experiences only a restoring force from a spring, while a damped, driven harmonic oscillator also experiences damping and a driving force. This means that the amplitude of oscillation for a damped, driven harmonic oscillator will decrease over time, while a regular harmonic oscillator will continue to oscillate at a constant amplitude.

3. What is the equation of motion for a Damped, Driven Harmonic Oscillator?

The equation of motion for a damped, driven harmonic oscillator is given by: m * d^2x/dt^2 + b * dx/dt + kx = F0 * cos(ωt), where m is the mass of the object, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, F0 is the amplitude of the driving force, and ω is the angular frequency.

4. How do the parameters affect the behavior of a Damped, Driven Harmonic Oscillator?

The mass, damping coefficient, spring constant, driving force amplitude, and angular frequency all affect the behavior of a damped, driven harmonic oscillator. Changes in these parameters can affect the amplitude, frequency, and rate of decay of the oscillation.

5. What are some real-world examples of Damped, Driven Harmonic Oscillators?

Some real-world examples of damped, driven harmonic oscillators include a swinging pendulum, a car suspension system, and a mass-spring-damper system used in engineering and construction for absorbing vibrations. These systems experience both damping and a driving force in addition to the restoring force provided by a spring.