Solving Complex Math Questions: Need Help!

• Thread starter catcherintherye
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the given problem asks to prove the isomorphism of certain algebras over a field F. By using the definitions and the Chinese Remainder Theorem, we can show that F[C_2] is isomorphic to F \times F, \mathbb{R}[C_3] is isomorphic to \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{C}, \mathbb{R}[C_4] is isomorphic to \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{C}, and \mathbb{R}[C_6] is isomorphic to \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R} \times \math
catcherintherye
I have about 5 questions all of a similar form ...

[tex] \mathbb{F}[C_2] \cong \mathbb{F} \times \mahbb{F} [/tex]

if 1+1 [tex] \neq 0 in \mathbb{F} [/tex]

[tex]\Re [C_3] \cong \Re \times C [/tex]

[tex] \Re [C_4] \cong \Re \times \Re \times C [/tex]

these were on the first sheet given out and I still don't know how to do them after 4 weeks, any help on how to do them??

Physics news on Phys.org
"Do them"? Do you mean prove them? Start by writing out the definitions.
(I would have thought that [itex]\mathbb{F}[/itex] was a field but apparently not.)

What are C2, C3, C4?

I guess C_n is the cyclic group of order n. But still, what the OP posted doesn't make a lot of sense, e.g. what's the distinction between F and [itex]\mathbb{F}[/itex]? Also, is [itex]\Re[/itex] actually [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]? (The former is the "real part" of a complex number, the latter is the set of real numbers.) And, in the last two, what is C? Finally, in what context are the direct products being taken?

obviously i haven't made myself clear, i'll post the question in it's entirety...

Let A,B be algebras over a field F. We say that A and B are isomorphic over F written [tex] A\cong_F B [/tex] when there exists a bijective ring homomorphism [tex] \varphi : A \rightarrow B [/tex] which is also linear over F, i.e. satisfies [tex] \\\varphi(a\lambda) = \varphi(a) \lambda \mbox{ for all a} \in A \ \lambda \in F [/tex]

show that i) [tex] F[C_2] \cong_F F \times F [/tex] if 1+1 not equal 0 in F
ii) [tex] R[C_3] \cong_R R \times C [/tex]

iii) [tex] \\ R[C_4] \cong_R R \times R \times C [/tex]

iv) [tex]\\ R[C_6] \cong R \times R \times C \times C [/tex]

here R = field of real numbers, C = field of complex numbers, F is an arbitrary field although in the question it is constrained by the given condition. Also all C_n's are cyclics and by F[C_n] we mean the group ring of C_n over F, that is the ring whose elements are linear combinations of the group elements with coefficients in F.

For some reason this problem popped into my head today, so I gave it another go and managed to solve it. There are two things we need:
(1) [itex]F[C_n] \cong_F F[x]/(x^n - 1)[/itex]. This can be easily proved using the evaluation homomorphism at a generator of C_n.
(2) The http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ChineseRemainderTheorem2.html . (The CRT is something that slipped my mind at the time.)

So now we have:
[tex]F[C_2] \cong F[x]/(x^2 - 1) \cong F[x]/(x+1) \times F[x]/(x-1) \cong F \times F[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb{R}[C_3] \cong \mathbb{R}[x]/(x^3 - 1) \cong \mathbb{R}[x]/(x-1) \times \mathbb{R}[x]/(x^2 + x + 1) \cong \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{C}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb{R}[C_4] \cong \mathbb{R}[x]/(x^4 - 1) \cong \mathbb{R}[x]/(x-1) \times \mathbb{R}[x]/(x+1) \times \mathbb{R}[x]/(x^2 + 1) \cong \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{C}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb{R}[C_6] \cong \mathbb{R}[x]/(x^6 - 1) \cong \mathbb{R}[x]/(x-1) \times \mathbb{R}[x]/(x+1) \times \mathbb{R}[x]/(x^2+x+1) \times \mathbb{R}[x]/(x^2-x+1) \cong \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{C} \times \mathbb{C}[/tex]

Better late than never I suppose!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best approach for solving complex math questions?

The best approach for solving complex math questions is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can be done by identifying the key concepts and formulas involved, and then tackling each part step by step. Additionally, it is important to understand the underlying principles and theories behind the problem, rather than just memorizing formulas.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

Improving problem-solving skills in math takes practice and patience. Start by working on simpler problems before moving on to more complex ones. Make sure to thoroughly understand the concepts and theories behind the problems, and don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification if needed. It can also be helpful to work with others or seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to gain a better understanding of the material.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving complex math questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving complex math questions include rushing through the problem without fully understanding it, using incorrect formulas or methods, and not checking your work for errors. It is also important to pay attention to details, such as units of measurement and decimal points, to ensure accurate solutions.

4. How can I stay organized while solving complex math questions?

Staying organized while solving complex math questions can greatly improve your efficiency and accuracy. One way to do this is by writing down all the given information and any important formulas or equations before starting to solve the problem. You can also use diagrams or graphs to visualize the problem and keep track of your work. It can also be helpful to use a systematic approach, such as the steps in the problem-solving process, to stay focused and organized.

5. What resources are available for getting help with solving complex math questions?

There are many resources available for getting help with solving complex math questions. Your first resource should be your teacher or professor, who can provide personalized guidance and support. Additionally, there are online forums and communities where you can ask for help from other students or math experts. Textbooks, study guides, and online tutorials can also provide helpful explanations and practice problems to improve your skills. Lastly, don't forget about the power of practice and seeking out extra practice problems to strengthen your understanding of complex math concepts.