Factor of Safety: Alum. & Rivets

• Thread starter series111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Safety
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of two aluminum strips, each measuring 75mmx5mm, riveted together to form a continuous length. The joint was made using 6 rivets, each 5mm in diameter. The ultimate shear strength of the rivet material was given as 70MN/m2 and the ultimate tensile strength of the aluminum was 30MN/m2. The maximum tensile force applied to the continuous strip was 1.875KN. The factor of safety for the rivets was calculated to be 4.39 and for the aluminum was 6.
series111

Homework Statement

TWO ALUMINIUM STRIPS EACH 75mmx5mm ARE RIVETED TOGETHER TO FORM A CONTINUOUS LENGTH THE JOINT IS MADE USING 6 RIVETS EACH 5mm IN DIA THE ULTIMATE SHEAR STRENGTH OF THE RIVET MATERIAL IS 70MN/m2 AND THE UTS OF THE ALUMINIUM IS 30MN/m2 IF THE MAXIMUM TENSILE FORCE APPLIED TO THE CONTINUOUS STRIP IS 1.875KN DETERMINE THE FACTOR OF SAFETY FOR (a) THE RIVETS (b) THE ALUMINIUM

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

area for rivets piex5x10-32/4 x 6 =1.178x10-4 area for aluminium 75x10-3x5x10-3 x 2 = 750 x 10-6 shear stress for rivets = 1.875x10 3/1.178x10-4=15.91x10 6 shear stress for aluminium=1.875x10 3 / 750 x 10-6=2.5x 10 6 factor of safety for aluminium=30x10 6 / 2.5 x 10 6 = 12 factor of safety for rivets = 70 x 10 6/ 15.91 x 10 6 = 4.39

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your math, but I note that you are looking for the tensile stress in the aluminum, not shear as you indicate, , and that you have used the wrong area in determining that tensile stress (you're off by a multiplicative factor).

where have i went wrong as i thought this was correct?

series111 said:
area for aluminium 75x10-3x5x10-3 x 2 = 750 x 10-6
Your error is noted in red

thanks i did only one plane first but then i multiplyed it by 2 because i got confused with shear stress thanks again i will post my answers and if you would be so kind to check them i will be most gratefull as this is part of my first mechanical principles assessment.

series111 said:
thanks i did only one plane first but then i multiplyed it by 2 because i got confused with shear stress thanks again this is my new answers and if you would be so kind to check them i will be most gratefull as this is part of my first mechanical principles assessment.

area of rivets = pie x 5x10-3 2/4 x 6 =1.178 x 10 -4

area of aluminium= 75x 10 -3 x 5 x 10 -3 = 0.375 x 10 -3

tensile stress of rivets =1.875 x 10 3 / 1.178x 10-4 = 15.91 x 10 6

tensile stress of aluminium = 1.875 x 10 3 / 0.375 x 10 -3 = 5 x 10 6

factor of safety for rivets = 70 x 10 6 / 15.91 x 10 6 = 4.39

factor of safety for aluminium = 30 x 10 6 / 5 x 10 6 = 6

series111 said:
area of rivets = pie x 5x10-3 2/4 x 6 =1.178 x 10 -4

area of aluminium= 75x 10 -3 x 5 x 10 -3 = 0.375 x 10 -3

tensile you mean to say SHEAR stress of rivets =1.875 x 10 3 / 1.178x 10-4 = 15.91 x 10 6

tensile stress of aluminium = 1.875 x 10 3 / 0.375 x 10 -3 = 5 x 10 6

factor of safety for rivets = 70 x 10 6 / 15.91 x 10 6 = 4.39

factor of safety for aluminium = 30 x 10 6 / 5 x 10 6 = 6
Your numbers are now correct, but you are confusing the differences between shear and tensile stresses. The rivets are in shear, the aluminum strips are in tension. Picture two strips of aluminum, each say 1 meter long, and riveted together at one overlapping end with 6 rivets, so that now the strip is almost 2 meters long (it is slightly less than 2 meters due to the overlap, but the length does not matter in this problem, I just want to be sure you see the problem correctly). Now you apply the 1.875kN tensile load, which puts the strips in tension (force perpendicular to the cross sectional area of the strip causing tensile stress), and puts the rivets in shear (force parallel to the area of the rivets, causing shear stress).

thanks very much i am trying to cram so much information in as i have just returned to education after 10 year spell off and i am confusing myself that why i joined this forum as i need all the help i can get thanks again mark.

hi again just got my assessment back and all figures are correct but the factor safety formula for the rivets is wrong this is what a put fs= uts/stress and i don't no whyit is wrong can you help as it is confusing me hope you can help again thanks mark.

series111 said:
hi again just got my assessment back and all figures are correct but the factor safety formula for the rivets is wrong this is what a put fs= uts/stress and i don't no whyit is wrong can you help as it is confusing me hope you can help again thanks mark.
I don't know either unless it's due to not rounding off; FS in rivets is 4.398 perhaps they are looking for 4.4 or even just 4? Your numbers and method look correct .

The answer is correct it is just the uts that wrong because in the question it states the ultimate shear strength of the rivet material is 70MN/m2 but i took this as ultimate tensile strength as i thought it was the same sign for ultimate shear strength

What is the factor of safety for aluminum and rivets?

The factor of safety for aluminum and rivets is typically between 2 and 4. This means that the ultimate strength of the material is divided by the factor of safety to determine the maximum stress that the material can withstand without failing.

Why is the factor of safety important when using aluminum and rivets?

The factor of safety is important because it ensures that the material can withstand unexpected loads or stresses without failing. In the case of aluminum and rivets, the factor of safety helps to prevent the rivets from shearing or the aluminum from buckling under stress.

How is the factor of safety calculated for aluminum and rivets?

The factor of safety is calculated by dividing the ultimate strength of the material by the maximum stress it can withstand. For aluminum and rivets, the ultimate strength is determined by testing and the maximum stress is based on engineering calculations.

What factors can affect the factor of safety for aluminum and rivets?

The factor of safety for aluminum and rivets can be affected by factors such as the quality of the materials, the design and construction of the structure, and the environmental conditions. It is important to consider these factors when determining the appropriate factor of safety for a specific application.

What is the recommended factor of safety for aluminum and rivets in different industries?

The recommended factor of safety for aluminum and rivets may vary depending on the industry and the specific application. For example, the factor of safety for aircraft structures is typically higher than that for construction projects. It is important to consult industry standards and guidelines when determining the appropriate factor of safety for a specific application.