Theoretical mechanics question

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and nature of corresponding transformations between the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations in classical mechanics. The answer to whether a corresponding transformation always exists is generally no, as transformations q\mapsto Q are a subclass of canonical transformations (q,p)\mapsto (Q,P). However, if the canonical transformation belongs to the subclass of point transformations, then the answer is yes. It is also mentioned that a non-singular Hessian matrix is required for a Legendre transformation to be possible. The conversation also touches on the possibility of moving from Lagrangian to Hamiltonian formulation and back, and how this can result in a completely new Lagrangian function.
jostpuur
Here's a simple question. Anyone who knows the answer can save me from some effort by telling the answer.

For arbitrary canonical transform [itex](q,p)\mapsto (Q,P)[/itex] in the Hamilton's formulation, does there always exist a corresponding transformation [itex]q\mapsto Q[/itex] in the Lagrange's formulation? By corresponding transformation, I mean such transformation, that when we move from the Lagrange's system [itex]L(Q,\dot{Q})[/itex] to the Hamilton's formulation, we get the same [itex]K(Q,P)[/itex] as from the original canonical transform.

Another question (or perhaps the same): I know that we can always move from Lagrange's formulation to the Hamilton's formulation, but is the converse true. Do such Hamiltonian systems exist, that you cannot achieve by starting from some Lagrangian system?

Physics news on Phys.org
jostpuur said:
... For arbitrary canonical transform [itex](q,p)\mapsto (Q,P)[/itex] in the Hamilton's formulation, does there always exist a corresponding transformation [itex]q\mapsto Q[/itex] in the Lagrange's formulation? By corresponding transformation, I mean such transformation, that when we move from the Lagrange's system [itex]L(Q,\dot{Q})[/itex] to the Hamilton's formulation, we get the same [itex]K(Q,P)[/itex] as from the original canonical transform.

The answer generally is No!

Transformations [itex]q\mapsto Q[/itex] (point transformations) are a subclass of the canonical transformations [itex](q,p)\mapsto (Q,P)[/itex].
After all, canonical transformations are between [itex] 2\,n[/itex] variables [itex](q,p)[/itex], while point tranformations are between [itex] n[/itex] variables [itex] q[/itex].

Take or example the 1D problem, of a particle moving with the aid of a central force

[tex]f(x)=-\frac{k}{x^2}\Rightarrow V(x)=\frac{k}{x}[/tex]

Then the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian functions are

[tex]\mathcal{L}=K-V\Rightarrow\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}\,m\,\dot{x}^2-\frac{k}{x}, \quad \mathcal{H}=K+V\Rightarrow\mathcal{H}=\frac{1}{2\,m}\,p^2+\frac{k}{x}[/tex]

Perform now the non-point canonical transformation

[tex](q,p)\mapsto (-P,Q), \quad \mathcal{H} \mapsto \mathcal{H}', \quad \mathcal{L} \mapsto \mathcal{L}' [/tex]

and you will see that there is no function [tex] q=f(Q)[/tex] which achieves the transformation [tex]\mathcal{L} \mapsto \mathcal{L}' [/tex].

Of course, if the canonical transformation happens to belong to the subclass of point transformations then the answer is obviously yes.

jostpuur said:
Another question (or perhaps the same): I know that we can always move from Lagrange's formulation to the Hamilton's formulation, but is the converse true. Do such Hamiltonian systems exist, that you cannot achieve by starting from some Lagrangian system?

The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian descriptions are equivalent, you can pass from one to the other by Legendre's transformation.

Rainbow Child said:
The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian descriptions are equivalent, you can pass from one to the other by Legendre's transformation.

There is something that doesn't make sense in this. If the set of coordinate transformations in the Hamiltonian formalism is larger than the set of coordinate transformations in the Lagrangian formalism, how could all Hamiltonian systems have a corresponding Lagrangian system?

Or then I got it. If we move from Lagrangian formulation to Hamiltonian formulation, perform a non-pointwise coordinate transformation, and move back to Lagrangian formulation, we just get completely new Lagrangian?

jostpuur said:
Or then I got it. If we move from Lagrangian formulation to Hamiltonian formulation, perform a non-pointwise coordinate transformation, and move back to Lagrangian formulation, we just get completely new Lagrangian?

That's the point I was trying to establish at my 1st answer! :smile:

I don't think one can always move from the Lagrangian to the Hamiltonian system. The condition for which it's possible to make a legendre transformation to the hamiltonian framework is when the hessian matrix represented by

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial \dot{q}_i \partial \dot{q}_j}\right)[/tex]

is non-singular.

For example, consider the Lagrangian

[tex]\mathcal{L} =\frac{1}{2} (\dot{q}_1-\dot{q}_2)^2} + V(q_1,q_2)[/tex]

Last edited:
siddharth said:
I don't think one can always move from the Lagrangian to the Hamiltonian system. The condition for which it's possible to make a legendre transformation to the hamiltonian framework is when the hessian matrix represented by

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial \dot{q}_i \partial \dot{q}_j}\right)[/tex]

is non-singular.

For example, consider the Lagrangian

[tex]\mathcal{L} =\frac{1}{2} (\dot{q}_1-\dot{q}_2)^2} + V(q_1,q_2)[/tex]

By strange coincidence, me and Rainbow Child were just talking about system like this in the other thread Fermion oscillator

And yes it was a mistake from me to say that we can always move from L to H (in the standard manner).

1. What is theoretical mechanics?

Theoretical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of particles and systems using mathematical models and principles such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy and momentum.

2. How is theoretical mechanics different from applied mechanics?

Theoretical mechanics focuses on developing and understanding mathematical models and principles, while applied mechanics applies these models and principles to real-world problems and systems.

3. What are some applications of theoretical mechanics?

Theoretical mechanics is used in various fields such as aerospace engineering, robotics, and astrophysics to analyze and predict the behavior of systems and objects in motion.

4. What are some key concepts in theoretical mechanics?

Some key concepts in theoretical mechanics include forces, mass, acceleration, energy, and momentum. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the motion of objects and systems.

5. What skills are needed to study theoretical mechanics?

To study theoretical mechanics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to apply mathematical concepts to real-world situations.