Introducing the PF Library

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Editing is all done while viewing an item. Each box has an "edit" link to the right of it. The three boxes in the middle right are self explanatory. The left side bar has the "add content" link to the right of the "edit" links. When you click that, you are taken to a page where you can add a new library item.
"Search this Library"

Would it be possible to have a "Search this Library" tool as in the toolbar above any PF thread, so that we can search for a word or phrase even if it isn't a title?

If a tool isn't possible, could there be a box or link to enable a google site-search, in the form "word site:www.physicsforums.com/library"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice, Greg!

I have a couple questions. I would like to edit some content, but not submit an entirely new entry. How is this done? Is a PM to you the best way? Still not clear on the process.

For example, consider the "quadratic equation" entry.
I considered submitting an "Add Content" submission to change the title to "Quadratic Equation" (I admit it: I am anal); however, I thought I might end up creating a brand-new entry titled "Quadratic Equation" in addition to the "quadratic equation" entry. I didn't want to do that, so I backed out.

I would have also liked to edit the entry in the "See Also" section. I would like to change "Mathworld" to "MathWorld: Quadratic Equation".

I am also considering submitting a few other links for an editor's consideration for listing in the "See Also" section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_equation" [Broken]

and/or

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Quadratic_equation" [Broken]

as well as a link to an online solver:

http://www.akiti.ca/Quad2Deg.html" [Broken]

Alternately, are simple errors like typos, grammatical errors, duplicate words, etc. handled via the "Report item" link?

Last edited by a moderator:
DuncanM said:
Nice, Greg!

I have a couple questions. I would like to edit some content, but not submit an entirely new entry. How is this done? Is a PM to you the best way? Still not clear on the process.
Hi Duncan,

Currently, only PF staff (Administrators, Mentors, Homework Helpers and Science Advisers) can edit items, this helps maintain the integrity of the library articles.

The best way to submit editions to library articles is to use the Report Item feature in the library. Your report will then be submitted to the Science Advisor's forum where it will be discussed and any necessary changes made.

how to edit?

Hi DuncanM! :smile:

Titles have small initial letters because the autolinking facility would irritatingly change "quadratic equation" to "Quadratic Equation" wherever it occurred in a post if the title were in capitals.

(only exception is real names, like "Newton's" or "Hermitian")

For "See Also" suggestions, write a comment … then ordinary members can discuss whether they like it or not.

In fact, if it's in a comment (which accepts links and smilies just like an ordinary post), that's just as good as being in the official "See Also" :smile: … so long as it stays on the first page, of course! :rolleyes:
I would like to edit some content, but not submit an entirely new entry. How is this done? Is a PM to you the best way?

As Hootenanny :smile: says, you can use "Report item". And please submit the actual code (preview it on any thread reply preview page :wink:)
DuncanM said:
Alternately, are simple errors like typos, grammatical errors, duplicate words, etc. handled via the "Report item" link?

For simple errors, (basically anything that doesn't need a discussion), I think "Report item" would be a nuisance … just draw attention to them in "Commentary", or PM any Homework Helper or Science Adviser you think would be interested.

Are there any guidelines for what gets posted in the Commentary section of a library entry? Occasionally I see questions that IMHO would better be posted as a thread in the main forums, questions (homework or non HW) that are related to the library entry's subject.

My thinking is that library comments should specifically address that entry, for example: pointing out errors, suggesting or asking for clarification within the entry, or suggesting additions to the entry.

But that's just my opinion, I am unable to find any official PF policy on this.

Comments shouldn't really be used for asking questions. If you see any more report the item and tell us that it is the comment you want looking at. The mentors can then send a message to the user and tell them to post in the appropriate forum. It might be a good idea to state this explicitly somewhere, perhaps at the start of this thread.

Understood, thanks Kurdt.

Question:
How does the autolinking feature handle cases such as:
- 'momentum' and 'angular momentum'
- 'mechanics' and 'statistical mechanics'

The reason for my question:
Tiny-tim has informed me that the autolinking feature interferes with creating an entry 'inertia' in the PF library. When a PF editor is writing about 'moment of inertia' the autolinking feature will link the entry 'inertia' instead.

This is a general question; the issue does not affect me directly, for in my editing options I have disabled the autolinking for my posts.

Cleonis

I have found the library's Image feature to be quite cumbersome. However ...

Normal image-tagging works in the Extended Explanation and Scientists section of a library entry. It does not work in the Definition/Summary or Equations sections. The format for image tagging is [noparse][/noparse][I]url-of-image-to-be-posted[/I] [Broken], just as in a normal forum post. This may be preferable to using the designated Image section of the entry, as it allows multiple images to be viewed quickly and simultaneously with the text of the entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>1. What is the PF Library?</h2><p>The PF Library is a collection of resources and materials related to the field of physics and its subfields. It includes books, journals, articles, and other materials that can be used for research and learning purposes.</p><h2>2. Who can access the PF Library?</h2><p>The PF Library is open to anyone who has a valid library card or is a member of an institution that has a partnership with the library. Some resources may require a subscription or payment, but many materials are available for free.</p><h2>3. What types of materials are available in the PF Library?</h2><p>The PF Library has a wide range of materials, including textbooks, research papers, conference proceedings, and multimedia resources such as videos and simulations. There are also resources specifically for students and educators, such as study guides and lesson plans.</p><h2>4. How can I search for specific materials in the PF Library?</h2><p>The PF Library has a search engine that allows users to search for materials by keyword, author, title, or subject. There are also advanced search options that allow for more specific searches. Users can also browse through different categories and subcategories to find relevant materials.</p><h2>5. Can I borrow materials from the PF Library?</h2><p>Yes, many materials in the PF Library can be borrowed for a certain period of time. However, some materials may only be available for in-library use or may require a special request. It is best to check with the library staff for specific borrowing policies and procedures.</p>

1. What is the PF Library?

The PF Library is a collection of resources and materials related to the field of physics and its subfields. It includes books, journals, articles, and other materials that can be used for research and learning purposes.

2. Who can access the PF Library?

The PF Library is open to anyone who has a valid library card or is a member of an institution that has a partnership with the library. Some resources may require a subscription or payment, but many materials are available for free.

3. What types of materials are available in the PF Library?

The PF Library has a wide range of materials, including textbooks, research papers, conference proceedings, and multimedia resources such as videos and simulations. There are also resources specifically for students and educators, such as study guides and lesson plans.

4. How can I search for specific materials in the PF Library?

The PF Library has a search engine that allows users to search for materials by keyword, author, title, or subject. There are also advanced search options that allow for more specific searches. Users can also browse through different categories and subcategories to find relevant materials.

5. Can I borrow materials from the PF Library?

Yes, many materials in the PF Library can be borrowed for a certain period of time. However, some materials may only be available for in-library use or may require a special request. It is best to check with the library staff for specific borrowing policies and procedures.