Introducing the PF Library

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Editing is all done while viewing an item. Each box has an "edit" link to the right of it. The three boxes in the middle right are self explanatory. The left side bar has the "add content" link to the right of the "edit" links. When you click that, you are taken to a page where you can add a new library item.
Looks good to me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Diffy said:
Perhaps those who are not members can submit "recommended edits" then those who have access can approve. I would like to edit some of the entries but alas do not have the ability to do so.

As has been stated above you can report things you think need editing.

Hootenanny said:
I would hope with the system that we have in place that our entries will be far more reliable than Wikipedia. Not that I am suggesting that either the PF library or Wikipedia should be used as a primary study reference.
I see what you mean. It would be nice for a community forum to go at it. Lot's to teach, lot's to learn...

Eric Belcastro said:
I see what you mean. It would be nice for a community forum to go at it. Lot's to teach, lot's to learn...
The only draw back is that we have a much smaller pool of potential authors than Wikipedia, which means that populating the library is going to be a slow process. However, the advantage we have over Wikipedia is that for any given topic, there is likely to be a moderator who is considered proficient in that field. So once an entry has been moderated and published here on PF you can almost guarantee that it is going to be scientifically accurate, whereas you can't say the same for Wikipedia.

Hey Everyone!

It seems a bit weird that whenever you write something like circle, you are linked to it's definition. Has anyone thought of having something like a latex code thing, where the key words could be coded, and then the link provided? A mathematical explanation for a circle isn't really needed in General Discussion, unless people just ignore it.

Another thought, is it not possible to make the first letter of the link, case sensitive in that you can choose wether it is a capital letter or not.

I think that's being looked at Mayday.

This is a great idea, thanks for creating this trove of knowledge.

this could turn very useful person like me..thankyou ...

Could there please be a method of receiving notification of changes to a library entry? :smile:

Thanks Kurdt.

First entry in an edit log is now shown as the item creator. "In the News" field has been replaced with "Recent Forum Threads on xxxx".

Some proposed changes:

i] There needs to be a preview option: Once i submit an article, there i no way for me to look if the Latex and the BBCode formatting is correct. I have to wait for the article to be approved before I realize that i made a mistake while typing in the formula.

ii] No edit option: Non-moderators cannot edit or propose edits to an article. Atleast allow me to edit the articles which are created by me, in case i want to add additional information.

rohanprabhu said:
Some proposed changes:

i] There needs to be a preview option: Once i submit an article, there i no way for me to look if the Latex and the BBCode formatting is correct. I have to wait for the article to be approved before I realize that i made a mistake while typing in the formula.

ii] No edit option: Non-moderators cannot edit or propose edits to an article. Atleast allow me to edit the articles which are created by me, in case i want to add additional information.
The lack of previewing capability is unfortunate but may be what we must settle for. If you have edits or additions you'd like to have added, you can either report the entry or post the edits under Comments.

plus.. why are so many database errors occurring. It's frustrating after writing a long article to see the 'Database error' page.

rohanprabhu said:
plus.. why are so many database errors occurring. It's frustrating after writing a long article to see the 'Database error' page.

The database is backed up at around this time each morning, hence the database errors.

cristo said:
The database is backed up at around this time each morning, hence the database errors.

ahh...

Greg Bernhardt said:
First entry in an edit log is now shown as the item creator. "In the News" field has been replaced with "Recent Forum Threads on xxxx".

Cheers, Greg.

One other suggestion, which I'm not sure how easy it is to implement: would it be possible to restrict the set of forums from which threads appear in the "Recent Forum Threads on xxxx"? I only mention this because the article on "Limit" has a link to thread in GD (and one in the SA forum, but I'm not sure how visible that will be). I don't think that any threads in the PF lounge, or the Inner Circle, or probably some other forums, will ever be strictly related to the items in the PF Library, so it may be a good idea if we could somehow restrict links from these forums appearing.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm still not seeing the creator in the edit log Greg, unless this was implemented after the latest entry was submitted.

The Recent Forums Threads looks nice :approve:

… how to preview …

rohanprabhu said:
There needs to be a preview option: Once i submit an article, there i no way for me to look if the Latex and the BBCode formatting is correct. I have to wait for the article to be approved before I realize that i made a mistake while typing in the formula.

rohanprabhu said:

I recommend typing everything out first in the Reply page of some random thread, and using the Preview button there. :smile:

(and choose a really short thread, with no LaTeX, so that the previewing is fast.)

Hootenanny said:
I'm still not seeing the creator in the edit log Greg, unless this was implemented after the latest entry was submitted.
Scratch that, I can now see the creator on the latest entry.

LaTeX problem

Non-members can't access the PF Library … is that intentional?
tiny-tim said:
I can't see the LaTeX equations in the Extended explanation section (though I can them in the Equations section).

The LaTeX equations in https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=18 aren't visible on my iMac using Safari 3.1.1, or on my local library's PC using Internet Explorer.

The code I typed looks ok to me. :confused:

Does anyone know how to fix this? :smile:

Greg, for some reason when I edit an entry my edit isn't showing up in the edit log. Has anyone else noticed this?

tiny-tim said:

The LaTeX equations in https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=18 aren't visible on my iMac using Safari 3.1.1, or on my local library's PC using Internet Explorer.

I don't think [ctex] tags work on PF.

[ctex]test[/ctex]

I've seen tex and itex.

Correction. ctex seems to work in the Library entry in the moderation queue, so I'm not sure why it's not working in the Library.

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:

TT, I mentioned this in the HH forum. If your entry was created before Greg made the formatting fix just enter the edit panel and click save immediately and the latex should show up after that.

cristo: I brought it to Greg's attention last night that some threads were showing that users did not have full permission for so I think he's working on it.

Kurdt said:
TT, I mentioned this in the HH forum. If your entry was created before Greg made the formatting fix just enter the edit panel and click save immediately and the latex should show up after that.

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:
Thanks, kurdt! :smile:

tiny-tim said:

Fixed, thanks!

Kurdt said:
cristo: I brought it to Greg's attention last night that some threads were showing that users did not have full permission for so I think he's working on it.

Ok, cheers, Kurdt.. I must've missed that post.

This is so cool. People will have a lot of fun populating these databases.

I'm looking forward to an engineering database.

There something annoying about the auto-hyperlinking system which causes certain keywords corresponding to existing entries int the library to be linked, even if the word is used in a collequial context. Like for example, the word 'limit' or variations such as 'limited' would all be linked to the library even though the term may not have been intended for its formal mathematical meaning.

Defennder said:
There something annoying about the auto-hyperlinking system which causes certain keywords corresponding to existing entries int the library to be linked, even if the word is used in a collequial context. Like for example, the word 'limit' or variations such as 'limited' would all be linked to the library even though the term may not have been intended for its formal mathematical meaning.

Working on this now. thanks

Thanks Greg.

I'm late in say thing but, thanks a lot, Greg. It is a wonderful addition to this great resource of a site. And thanks to the contributors and moderators, too.

Looking forward to exploring the library.

The symbol ≥ cannot be used in Definition/Summary, although > can be.

If I type alt-> on my Mac as usual, which gives ≥ anywhere else, the html code &# followed by 8805; appears instead.

alt-> gives standard code, which should appear as ≥ on any browser … why does it not work in this particular field?

(I also tried typing which didn't work either)

If the same person amends the same field twice in quick succession, it goes down as two edits in the Edit log.

Perhaps this should be changed, especially since there is no preview facility? :smile:

test triangle

Greg Bernhardt said:
test... triangles

triangle linkage working?