Exploring Causal Triangulations with Goerlich's Slides

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary, the slides provided by Goerlich offer a condensed and informative overview of Causal Triangulations, a relatively successful and simple approach to formulating a quantum dynamical continuum. These slides are a great resource for those looking to understand the basics of CDT, and the offer to discuss and clarify any part of the slides is greatly appreciated.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Causal Triangulations coaching---in case anyone wants, or can help with, explanation

This thread has a tight focus. Goerlich's slides

http://echo.maths.nottingham.ac.uk/qg/wiki/images/1/1e/GoerlichAndrzej1214824381.pdf

The slides cover the essentials of CDT in a brief dry way. They assume you already know the motivation and understand the goal of formulating a quantum dynamical continuum---quantizing General Relativity.

By leaving out the motivation, Goerlich gets to be very no-frills concise.
I think his slide-set is as complete as you can be in just 49 slides.

If anyone has been reading through the slides and wants to discuss some part of them, we could do that. If anyone wants some place in the sequence explained, we could try.

Why focus on these slides? Well in general if you want to understand CDT, the most basic place to start is the Loll SciAm article, July 2008. I have the link to it in my signature. And then there is the Quantum Gravity on Your Desktop article http://arxiv.org/abs/0711.0273 which is very good too. QGoYD is clear and highly accessible. But it doesn't give humdrum proceedural details. Like how is the Monte Carlo run actually constructed and what are the Alexander moves used to shuffle the simplexes and randomize how they are glued together?

Goerlich gets down to this level of detail, that one could easily be curious about.
The CDT approach is both relatively successful and remarkably simple, it doesn't have very many details, when you come right down to it. So a brief slide show can actually cover a lot of them.
(there is also an older 2001 Loll preprint that treats the nittygritty in more detail, but Goerlich slides are condensed and may be sufficient.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing these slides on Causal Triangulations (CDT). I agree that they are a great resource for understanding the basics of CDT in a concise manner. As a scientist who is familiar with the motivation and goal of formulating a quantum dynamical continuum, I found these slides to be very informative and well-organized.

I think it's great that you are offering to discuss any part of the slides for those who may have questions or need clarification. I also appreciate that you mentioned the Loll SciAm article and the Quantum Gravity on Your Desktop article as additional resources for understanding CDT.

I agree that the CDT approach is relatively successful and remarkably simple, and it's always interesting to see how such a complex concept can be broken down into a few key details. I will definitely be taking a closer look at these slides and the other resources you mentioned. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise on this topic.

I find it interesting that Goerlich's slides manage to cover the essentials of Causal Dynamical Triangulations (CDT) in such a concise and efficient manner. This approach to quantum gravity is relatively successful and remarkably simple, yet it still manages to capture the complexities of General Relativity. By focusing on the details of the Monte Carlo run and the Alexander moves used, Goerlich provides a deeper understanding of the CDT approach. This presentation could be a valuable resource for those looking to delve into the intricacies of CDT and its potential in quantizing General Relativity.

1. What is the purpose of exploring causal triangulations?

The purpose of exploring causal triangulations is to understand the relationship between variables and identify potential causal relationships among them. This can help in making predictions and understanding complex systems.

2. What is Goerlich's Slides method?

Goerlich's Slides is a statistical method used for exploring causal triangulations. It involves systematically manipulating and observing variables to identify potential causal relationships.

3. How does Goerlich's Slides differ from other methods of exploring causal triangulations?

Goerlich's Slides differs from other methods in that it uses a visual representation of the data, making it easier to identify and analyze potential causal relationships. It also involves manipulating variables in a systematic and controlled manner, which can help in identifying causal relationships more accurately.

4. What are the benefits of using Goerlich's Slides for exploring causal triangulations?

Some potential benefits of using Goerlich's Slides include the ability to identify potential causal relationships quickly and accurately, the visual representation of data making it easier to interpret and communicate findings, and the systematic approach allowing for more rigorous analysis.

5. What are the limitations of using Goerlich's Slides for exploring causal triangulations?

Some limitations of using Goerlich's Slides include the need for a large dataset, potential biases introduced by the researcher during the manipulation of variables, and the inability to confirm causal relationships definitively without further experimentation or analysis.