Effect of water quality on detergent effectiveness

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Dan, a first year engineering student, is working on a design project investigating the effect of water contaminants on detergent effectiveness. He is seeking suggestions for sources that may have information on this topic, and recommendations include peer-reviewed journals, books, government or non-governmental organizations, and online databases.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. I am a first year engineering student, and currently working on a design project. Part of the project requires me to investigate the effect of certain water contaminants on the effectiveness of clothes washing detergents. I am dealing mainly with water sources in Cambodia, so i am looking at things such as magnesium, arsenic, E coli etc.

I did high school chemistry so have a basic understanding of soaps and detergents, but i will need to do a bit more reading. Does anyone have any suggestions for sources which may have information about the effect of certain chemicals on the effectiveness of detergents?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi Dan,

That sounds like a very interesting project! I can definitely provide some suggestions for sources that may have information on the effect of certain chemicals on detergent effectiveness.

Firstly, I would recommend looking into peer-reviewed scientific journals, such as the Journal of Surfactants and Detergents or the Journal of Chemical Education. These journals publish research on the properties and behavior of detergents, and may have articles specifically related to your topic.

Additionally, you can search for books on detergent chemistry or surfactants, which are the active ingredients in detergents. Some recommended titles are "Surfactants: Fundamentals and Applications in the Petroleum Industry" by Laurier L. Schramm and "Handbook of Detergents, Part D: Formulation" by Michael Showell.

Another useful source could be government or non-governmental organizations that focus on water quality and public health in Cambodia. They may have reports or studies on the levels of contaminants in water sources and their effects on detergent effectiveness.

Lastly, don't forget to utilize online resources such as research databases like Google Scholar or PubMed, which can help you find relevant studies and articles on your topic.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and wish you the best of luck with your project! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello Dan,

That sounds like a very interesting project! Water quality can definitely have an impact on the effectiveness of detergents. As you mentioned, contaminants such as magnesium, arsenic, and E. coli can affect the performance of detergents.

In terms of sources, I would suggest looking into scientific journals and articles that focus on the chemistry of detergents and their interactions with different water contaminants. You can also try reaching out to experts in the field or conducting experiments to test the effectiveness of detergents under different water conditions.

It may also be helpful to look into the specific types of detergents used in Cambodia and how they are affected by the local water quality. This can give you a better understanding of the factors that may impact detergent effectiveness in that region.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

What factors affect the effectiveness of detergents in different water qualities?

The main factors that affect the effectiveness of detergents in different water qualities include the water hardness, pH level, mineral content, and presence of impurities such as iron or organic matter. These factors can affect the ability of detergents to form suds, dissolve dirt and oils, and rinse away completely.

What is the ideal water quality for detergents to work most effectively?

The ideal water quality for detergents is soft water with a neutral pH level. Soft water contains low levels of minerals and does not interfere with the detergent's ability to form suds and dissolve dirt. A neutral pH level means that the water is neither too acidic nor too alkaline, which can also affect the effectiveness of detergents.

How does hard water affect the effectiveness of detergents?

Hard water contains high levels of minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, which can react with the detergents and reduce their effectiveness. These minerals can also cause soap scum and residue to form, making it difficult for detergents to fully dissolve and remove dirt and oils.

Can poor water quality affect the performance of detergents?

Yes, poor water quality can significantly affect the performance of detergents. Water that is highly contaminated with impurities, such as iron or organic matter, can cause detergents to become less effective in cleaning. Additionally, water with a high concentration of chlorine or other chemicals can also interfere with the detergent's ability to work effectively.

How can the impact of water quality on detergent effectiveness be minimized?

The impact of water quality on detergent effectiveness can be minimized by using a water softener or adding a water conditioner to hard water. It is also important to use the correct amount of detergent for the level of water hardness and to choose a detergent specifically designed for the type of water in your area. Regular maintenance of washing machines, such as descaling, can also help improve the performance of detergents in different water qualities.