How to find a mathematical formula for these points?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find a mathematical formula for a function "b" with given points (0,0), (1,0), (1,1), and (2,0). The proposed formula is b(n)=2^(n-1) +2*b(n-1) with b(0)=1. However, there is some confusion about whether the function is of one or two variables and whether the formula accurately represents the given points. It is suggested to clarify these points and possibly use a different approach to find a "closed" formula for the iteration.
transgalactic
how to find a mathematical formula for these points??

i got these points for this function "b" :
b(0,0)=1
b(1,0)=3
b(1,1)=4
b(2,0)=8

b(0)=1
b(1)=2+1=3
b(2)=4+1+3=8

b(n)=2^n +b(0) +b(1) +b(2) +.. + b(n-2)+b(n-1)

b(n-1)=2^n +b(0) +b(1) +b(2) +.. + b(n-2)

b(n)=b(n-1)+b(n-1) =2*b(n-1)which by the way is wrong because b(1) doesn't equal to 2* b(0)

b(n)=2*b(n-1)how to transform it to the formula
b(n,c)=c+(n-2)*2^(n-1) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You have both "b(0,0)" and "b(0)". Is b a function of one variable or two?

Are you just trying to find a function that fits the points (and if so which points: (0,0,0) or (0,0)?) or do you have some other reason to believe that 2^n comes into the equataion?

every point ends with zero

b(0,0)=b(0)
b(1,0)=b(1)

the reason i put 2^n into the equation is

b(0)=1 b(0)=1
b(1)=2+1=3 b(1)=2+b(0)
b(2)=4+1+3=8 b(2)=4+b(0)+b(1)so each ne member is the sum of the previous members and 2^n

unfortunately i don't know how build a standard formula from that series expression

b(n,c)=c+(n-2)*2^(n-1) ?

So this is NOT a problem of finding a formula that will give those points (there are an infinite number of formulas to fit any finite number of points) but of finding a "closed" formula for that iteration:
bn= 2n+ b0+ b1+ ...+ bn-1 with b0= 1.

how do i find a "closed" formula for that iteration:
bn= 2n+ b0+ b1+ ...+ bn-1 with b0= 1.

so ill get

b(n)=(n-2)*2^(n-1)

??

Last edited:

i simplified it into
b(n)=2^(n-1) +2*b(n-1) b0=1

what to do now

1. How do I determine which mathematical formula to use for a set of points?

The choice of mathematical formula depends on the type of relationship you are trying to represent between the points. For example, if the points appear to follow a linear pattern, you would use a linear equation such as y = mx + b. If the points appear to form a curve, you may need to use a polynomial or exponential equation. It is important to analyze the data and understand the relationship between the points before selecting a formula.

2. Can I use any mathematical formula to fit my points?

No, not all mathematical formulas are suitable for fitting a set of points. It is important to choose a formula that accurately represents the relationship between the points. Additionally, some formulas may have limitations or assumptions that may not be applicable to your data. It is best to consult with a mathematician or statistician to determine the most appropriate formula for your specific set of points.

3. How do I find the best fit mathematical formula for my points?

To find the best fit mathematical formula, you can use a variety of techniques such as linear regression, curve fitting, or interpolation. These methods involve analyzing the data and using statistical techniques to determine the most accurate formula for the given points. There are also software programs and online tools available that can assist with finding the best fit formula.

4. What are the limitations of using a mathematical formula to represent a set of points?

One limitation of using a mathematical formula is that it may not always accurately represent the relationship between the points. This could be due to outliers or a non-linear relationship that cannot be accurately represented by a single formula. Additionally, some formulas may have assumptions or constraints that may not apply to the given data. It is important to carefully analyze the data and consider the limitations of the chosen formula.

5. Can I modify a mathematical formula to better fit my points?

In some cases, it may be possible to modify a mathematical formula to better fit a set of points. This could involve changing the variables, adding additional terms, or using a different form of the original formula. However, it is important to note that modifying a formula may also introduce errors or inaccuracies. It is best to consult with a mathematician or statistician before making any modifications to a formula.