Coordinate (1,-2), angle of intersection thru origin?

In summary, the speaker is struggling with a simple electric field problem involving point charges on an xy plane. They are specifically stuck on determining the angle between a line drawn from one of the point charges to the origin and the x-axis. They express their frustration and ask for help, but ultimately figure out the solution by setting up a triangle along the axes.
bchandler
I'm trying to do a simple electric field due to point charges problem, but I'm stuck on a very simple detail. There are a number of point charges on an xy plane, and one of the point charges is at the cooridinate (1,-2). I need to figure out which angle a line drawn from this point to the origin would make with the x-axis to do the problem, but can't figure it out! I'm sure as soon as someone tells me the answer I'll remember how to find it; it's just a simple geometry problem!:grumpy:

Can anyone help? I can do the rest of the problem, its just this one snag that has me held up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out. I just set up a triangle along the axes to figure out the angle and the distance. Should have thought about this one more... Feel free to delete mods...

As a fellow scientist, I can understand how frustrating it can be to get stuck on a seemingly simple detail. However, let's approach this problem systematically to find the solution.

Firstly, let's visualize the scenario described. We have a number of point charges on an xy plane, with one of them located at the coordinate (1,-2). The origin, or (0,0), is the point where the x-axis and y-axis intersect.

Now, we need to find the angle that a line drawn from the point (1,-2) to the origin makes with the x-axis. To do this, we can use basic trigonometric principles. The tangent of an angle is defined as the opposite side divided by the adjacent side. In this case, the opposite side is the y-coordinate (which is -2) and the adjacent side is the x-coordinate (which is 1).

Therefore, the tangent of the angle can be calculated as -2/1 = -2. This means that the angle is tan^-1(-2) = -63.43 degrees. Note that the negative sign indicates that the angle is in the third quadrant.

In summary, the angle that a line drawn from the point (1,-2) to the origin makes with the x-axis is -63.43 degrees. I hope this helps you to continue with your electric field problem. Remember, in science, even the seemingly simple details require a systematic approach to find the solution. Good luck!

1. What is the coordinate (1,-2)?

The coordinate (1,-2) represents a point on the coordinate plane where the x-coordinate is 1 and the y-coordinate is -2. It is typically written as (x,y) with x representing the horizontal position and y representing the vertical position.

2. What is the angle of intersection through the origin?

The angle of intersection through the origin is the measure of the angle formed by two lines that intersect at the origin, which is the point (0,0) on the coordinate plane. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

3. How do you find the angle of intersection through the origin?

To find the angle of intersection through the origin, you can use the slope formula to calculate the slopes of the two lines. Then, you can use the formula tan(theta) = m1/m2, where m1 and m2 are the slopes of the two lines, to find the measure of the angle in radians. To convert to degrees, you can use the conversion formula: degrees = radians * (180/pi).

4. What is the significance of the coordinate (1,-2) and angle of intersection through the origin?

The coordinate (1,-2) represents a specific point on the coordinate plane, while the angle of intersection through the origin provides information about the relationship between two lines. This can be useful in various applications, such as calculating the direction of a vector or determining the slope of a line.

5. Can the coordinate (1,-2) and angle of intersection through the origin change?

Yes, the coordinate (1,-2) and angle of intersection through the origin can change depending on the equations or lines being considered. Different equations or lines can result in different coordinates and angles of intersection through the origin.