Finding Tangent Lines and Intersections: A Practice Guide for Calculus Final

• Thread starter updayte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary, the conversation involved someone seeking help with practice questions for their Calculus final. The first question involved finding the tangent line slope at a specific point, while the second question required the use of the chain rule and implicit differentiation. The third question involved finding the value of k in order for a line to be tangent to a given curve. The conversation also touched on creating a model to find the intersection and when the slopes of the equations are the same.
updayte
Hello, I am preparing for my Calc final and have these a ton of practice questions, these are a few I am not getting. Can somebody help me out with these?

1. find the tangent line slope of
y=g(x)=1/2x+1 at x =-2

2. Derivative of y with respect to x
a) y=(3x+4/2x-4)^1/10
b) find dy/dx if y²=sin(xy)

3. What value of k is the line y=kx tangent to the curve y= 4x²-x³

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. The slope of the line tangent to a differentiable function at a point is the derivative at that point.

a) This is a composite function of x, so use the chain rule.
b) It's hard to isolate for y, so use implicit differentiation.

3. The slope of the line and the curve at any point can be found by differentiation. Also notice that the line passes through (0, 0). Another way of phrasing this question is: What is the slope of the line passing through (0, 0) tangent to the curve? See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=284498 part (d) for a similar question.

Problem 3 is fun! There are two solutions for k.

Create a model that will tell where the equations intersect.
Then create a model that will tell when their slopes are the same.

You should end up with two equations in terms of k and x.

1. What topics should I focus on for the Calc final?

For the Calc final, it is important to review all the topics covered throughout the course. This includes limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of derivatives and integrals. It is also important to review any specific topics that were emphasized by your teacher throughout the course.

2. How should I study for the Calc final?

The best way to study for the Calc final is to practice solving a variety of problems from each topic. Make sure to understand the concepts behind each problem and not just memorize formulas. You can also review your notes and old exams to identify any areas that need more focus.

3. What type of calculator is allowed for the Calc final?

Most schools allow the use of a scientific or graphing calculator for the Calc final. However, it is important to check with your teacher or the exam guidelines to make sure you are using an approved calculator. It is also important to familiarize yourself with using the calculator to solve various types of problems.

4. Are there any tips for staying calm during the Calc final?

It is normal to feel anxious before a final exam, but it is important to stay calm and focused during the test. Take deep breaths and remind yourself that you have prepared for this exam. Make sure to read each question carefully and try not to rush through the problems. If you get stuck on a problem, move on to the next one and come back to it later.

5. Can I use any notes or study guides during the Calc final?

It depends on your teacher's guidelines for the exam. Some teachers may allow the use of a formula sheet or notes, while others may not. It is important to check with your teacher beforehand to know what is allowed. Even if notes are not allowed, it is still important to review and study beforehand to feel confident during the exam.