Basic quesion about equivalance classes

• Thread starter pamparana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equivalence classes in set theory. An equivalence class is a set of elements that are related to each other through an equivalence relation. The equivalence classes do not have elements in common and can be thought of as separate "states" within a larger "country" of a set. The conversation also mentions the use of the transitive rule to show equivalence between elements. The output also includes a helpful example to illustrate the concept.
pamparana
Hello,

I am trying to brush up on some mathematics and realized that I have to start from the very bottom. I keep getting confused by the symbols and it has been an ardeous last few days!

Anyway, going through some stuff on set theory and came across the concept of equivalance classes. Let me see if I have understood this correctly:

If we have an equivalent relation on elements a and b of a set, than the set of all elements that are equivalent to a would be the equivalent class of element a. Does that sound right? I have a feeling I have understood it all wrong also because I am finding it hard to get used to the notations.

Then it goes on to say that if there is an equivalance relation on A and a, b are elements of set A, then either

[[a]] union [] = null set or [[a]] = []

This is not immediately obvious to me and I would be really grateful if someone can shed some light on this.

I would be grateful for any help you can give this old man :)

/Luca

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean intersection instead of union.

The equivalence classes do not have elements in common. If two elements of a set are equivalent, then a ~ b or a ~ c ~ d ... ~ b. Right? The element are related or there exists 1 or more applications of the transitive rule that show the elements are related. Related elements are equivalent elements.

The equivalence class of a is the same as the equivalence class of b if a~b or a ~ c ... ~ b. The equivalence class of a and the equivalence class of b have no elements in common if a and b are not equivalent.

Best is to use an example: suppose we have a set A = {1,2,3,4,5} and a relation ~ such that a ~ b if and only if a mod 2 = b mod 2. Then we have:
1 ~ 3, 3 ~ 1
1 ~ 5, 5 ~ 1
3 ~ 5, 5 ~ 3

2 ~ 4, 4 ~ 2

You can see that [[3]] = [[5]] = [[1]] = {1,3,5} and [[2]] = [[4]] = {2,4}. Also, for example, [[2]] intersection [[3]] = null set.

My mental image is something like, I think of a set like a country (like the USA or Canada) and the equivalence classes like states or provinces within the country. The equivalence relation ~ is given by a ~ b if and only if a and b are both located in the same state; for example "Plymouth" ~ "Boston" because they are both located in Massachusetts, so they are in the same equivalence class. But "Los Angeles" and "New York City" are not related and are not in the same equivalence class, since they are not in the same state.

I hope this helps you understand it. Of course, in the end you have to use the basic axioms and definitions, but it helps to have a rough mental picture of what they are about.

What are equivalance classes?

Equivalance classes are a way to group elements together based on a specific criteria or relationship. The elements within an equivalence class are considered equivalent to each other.

How are equivalance classes used in science?

In science, equivalance classes are used to organize data and information. They can also be used to simplify complex systems and make comparisons between different groups of objects or phenomena.

What is the purpose of defining equivalance classes?

The purpose of defining equivalance classes is to identify and group elements that share common characteristics or properties. This can help to better understand and analyze data, as well as make predictions and draw conclusions.

Can equivalance classes change over time?

Yes, equivalance classes can change over time as new information is discovered or as the criteria for grouping elements is modified. As science and technology continue to advance, our understanding of equivalance classes may also evolve.

How are equivalance classes different from other types of classifications?

Equivalance classes differ from other types of classifications in that they are based on a specific relationship or equivalence, rather than just grouping elements together based on shared characteristics. They also allow for multiple levels of classification within a single group.