Solve Photonic Absorption and Emission with Practice Problems | Exam Review

• Thread starter fball558
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the problem is that when a metal is kept at a low temperature, photons with energies between 0.2-0.9 eV are absorbed. When the metal is heated up, photons with energy levels between 0.7-0.9 eV are emitted.
fball558

Homework Statement

i am reviewing for a physics exam tomorrow. they posted practice problems and with answers but don't show you how to get the answers. i got most the problems but there are a few I am not sure so figured i would come here and see if you guys can explain it to me.

the problem is as follows

Problem 3: A certain metal is kept at a very low temperature. It is observed that when
photons with energies between 0.2 and 0.9 eV strike the material, only photons of 0.3 eV,
0.4 eV and 0.7 eV are absorbed. If the metal is heated to the point that 0.7 eV photons are
emitted, what photon energies would you expect to observe?

A. 0.3 and 0.7 eV
B. 0.1, 0.3, 0.4, and 0.7 eV (correct answer)
C. 0.3, 0.4 and 0.9 eV
D. 0.2, 0.4, and 0.7 eV
E. 0.7 and 0.9 eV

i don't even know where to start or how they got this answer. second line syas something about 0.2 - 0.9 eV and the answer has a 0.1??

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the same problem and am wondering the same thing... I don't remember going over this...

Are you in 172?

yeah, got to love 172.
i agree i don't remeber covering it. hopefully it will not be on the exam but i figured i would try and understand the problem just in case.
good luck tomorrow night on the exam.

OH, I think I just got it. So by saying "only photons of 0.3 eV, 0.4 eV and 0.7 eV are absorbed" they are saying those are energy level differences between energy level 1, and levels 2, 3, and 4. (1 to 2 is .3 eV, 1 to 3 is .4 eV, and 1 to 4 is .7 eV). So when the .7 eV photons are emitted then they should all be coming back out, so it's the reverse process.

The difference from 4 to 3 (and 2 to 1) is .3 eV, 4 to 2 (and 3 to 1) is .4 eV, 4 to 1 is .7 eV, 3 to 2 is .1 eV. That takes care of .1, .3, .4, and .7

Somebody please let me know if I'm right though. That is just how I'm seeing it. Thanks

Thanks about the good luck thing btw, you too.

Just curious, do you have Csathy?

ok i see where your going. kinda makes since, but what does the heat have to do with anything? is that what would make it jump to a lower energy level?

yeap csathy at 1:30 T and TH

Yeah, because if you look at the lecture notes the warmer temps drop out of the higher energy states.

Population of level: ~ exp(−E / kT )

That says that if it's really cold there is is a much higher probability of it being in the higher energy level. When it warms up the population level drops.

HA, same here. Exact same class. Small world.

1. How can I effectively review for an exam?

The most effective way to review for an exam is to start studying early and consistently. Create a study schedule and stick to it, break up the material into smaller chunks, and use various study techniques such as flashcards, practice quizzes, and summarizing notes. It's also important to get enough sleep and eat well to ensure your brain is functioning at its best.

2. Should I focus on memorizing or understanding the material?

It is important to have a balance of both memorization and understanding when reviewing for an exam. Make sure you have a solid understanding of the concepts and then focus on memorizing key terms and details. This will help you better apply your knowledge on the exam.

3. How can I stay motivated while reviewing for an exam?

One way to stay motivated while reviewing for an exam is to set specific goals for each study session. This can include completing a certain number of practice problems, reviewing a certain number of chapters, or summarizing a specific topic. Rewarding yourself after meeting these goals can also help keep you motivated. Additionally, remind yourself of the importance of doing well on the exam and the long-term benefits of your hard work.

4. How should I prepare for different types of exams (multiple choice, essay, etc.)?

For multiple choice exams, focus on understanding the material and practicing with sample questions. For essay exams, practice writing out full essay responses and make sure to review key concepts and examples. For math or science exams, practice solving problems and make sure to understand the steps and concepts behind the solutions.

5. How can I manage my time effectively during the exam?

Before the exam, familiarize yourself with the format and structure of the exam and create a plan for how much time you will spend on each section or question. During the exam, make sure to pace yourself and don't spend too much time on one question. If you are stuck on a question, move on and come back to it later. Also, leave some time at the end to review your answers and make any necessary changes.