Velocity of a cursor physics

In summary: Unfortunately, I do not understand what question (c) means, so I can't say whether your answer is correct … what is "the velocity of C on B"? …...
Apprentice123
In the position shown in Figure, the cursor B moves to the left with a speed of 150 mm/s. Find (a) the velocity of the A (b) the velocity C portion of the cable (c) the velocity of C on B

Answer:
(a) 300 mm/s
(b) 600 mm/s
(c) 450 mm/s

Attachments

• p.44.GIF
    p.44.GIF
    21.9 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org

Please show some work first. We are not here to do your homework for you.

Pengwuino said:
Please show some work first. We are not here to do your homework for you.

Because of Pulleys, I think

2Vb + 4Va = 0

But not find the answer

Apprentice123 said:
In the position shown in Figure, the cursor B moves to the left with a speed of 150 mm/s. Find (a) the velocity of the A (b) the velocity C portion of the cable (c) the velocity of C on B

Answer:
(a) 300 mm/s
(b) 600 mm/s
(c) 450 mm/s

People can't help you unless you post your attempted solutions. It's a place where people help you on homework, not do your homework for you.

kNYsJakE said:
People can't help you unless you post your attempted solutions. It's a place where people help you on homework, not do your homework for you.

But I do not know how to solve this problem. As I will show something is not understood the problem ?

Hi Apprentice123! :wink:
Apprentice123 said:
Because of Pulleys, I think

2Vb + 4Va = 0

But not find the answer

Tell us your reason (in words) for thinking it's 2Vb + 4Va = 0, and then we can see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Apprentice123! :wink:

Tell us your reason (in words) for thinking it's 2Vb + 4Va = 0, and then we can see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help. :smile:

I thought the speed at B is 1 pulley (2 * speed) and speed in A has 2 pulleys (4 * speed)

Apprentice123 said:
I thought the speed at B is 1 pulley (2 * speed) and speed in A has 2 pulleys (4 * speed)

?? I've no idea what you're talking about :confused:

it's the number of strings that matters

Hint: if A moves distance x to the left, how much longer do the two strings on the right of A get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
?? I've no idea what you're talking about :confused:

it's the number of strings that matters

Hint: if A moves distance x to the left, how much longer do the two strings on the right of A get? :smile:

Yes. I think

B (have 2 strings)
A (have 4 strings)

2x = 150
4x = 300 Ok.

But the C portion (have 1 string) x = 75 not the answer

Apprentice123 said:
B (have 2 strings)
A (have 4 strings)

No, A has 3 strings (1 on the left, 2 on the right), and only 2 of them are on a pulley

Anyway, answer my question …if A moves distance x to the left, how much longer do the two strings on the right of A get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
No, A has 3 strings (1 on the left, 2 on the right), and only 2 of them are on a pulley

Anyway, answer my question …if A moves distance x to the left, how much longer do the two strings on the right of A get? :smile:

If A have strings (1 on the left and 2 on the right) move x to left and 2x to right. It is ?

Apprentice123 said:
If A have strings (1 on the left and 2 on the right) move x to left and 2x to right. It is ?

It is very difficult to understand your English :redface:

"If A moves a distance x to the left, then each string on the right must get x longer, so the two strings together get 2x longer"

ok, call the length of the string on the left D, and the length of each string on the right E

then C + D + 2E = constant,

and D + E = … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
It is very difficult to understand your English :redface:

"If A moves a distance x to the left, then each string on the right must get x longer, so the two strings together get 2x longer"

ok, call the length of the string on the left D, and the length of each string on the right E

then C + D + 2E = constant,

and D + E = … ? :smile:

Thank you.
A)
1 a left
two for right
Va = 2 x 150 = 300 mm/s

B)
1 a left
2x2 for right
Vc = 4 x 150 = 600 mm/s

C)
(2 + CB cable) = 3
Vc/b = 3 x 150 = 450 mm/s

Yes, your answers to (a) and b) are correct, but I have no idea how you got them.

In the exam, to get full marks, you will need to explain clearly how you get your answers.
Apprentice123 said:
Find … (c) the velocity of C on B

Unfortunately, I do not understand what question (c) means, so I can't say whether your answer is correct … what is "the velocity of C on B"? … can you please explain it? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Yes, your answers to (a) and b) are correct, but I have no idea how you got them.

In the exam, to get full marks, you will need to explain clearly how you get your answers.

Unfortunately, I do not understand what question (c) means, so I can't say whether your answer is correct … what is "the velocity of C on B"? … can you please explain it? :smile:

The speed of the string C on B

1. What is the definition of velocity in cursor physics?

Velocity in cursor physics is the rate of change of the cursor's position over time. It is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of the cursor's motion.

2. How is velocity calculated in cursor physics?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position of the cursor by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a cursor in physics?

The velocity of a cursor in physics can be affected by several factors, including the force applied to the cursor, the mass of the cursor, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How does velocity relate to other concepts in cursor physics?

Velocity is closely related to other concepts in cursor physics, such as acceleration and displacement. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, while displacement is the change in position of the cursor.

5. Why is understanding velocity important in cursor physics?

Understanding velocity in cursor physics is important because it allows us to predict and analyze the motion of a cursor. It also helps us understand the relationship between different variables, such as force and acceleration, and how they affect the cursor's movement.