Convert ml to grams for a Heat Capacity and Specific Heat problem, is that possible?

In summary, the problem asks for the mass of a 30.14 g stainless steel ball bearing that is placed in a calorimeter containing 120 mL of water at 18.44 C. The problem asks for the temperature of the water, not the mass of the ball bearing.
Knight226

Homework Statement

Is it possible to convert ml to grams for a Heat Capacity and Specific Heat type of problem? The problems that I have done so far did not use ml at all. I am stuck with the following problem:

A piece of stainless steel (specific heat = 0.50 J g-1 oC-1 ) is taken from an over at 178 oC and immersed in 225 ml of water at 25.9 oC. The water temperature rises to 42.4 oC. What is the mass of the piece of steel? How precise is this method of mass determination? Explain.

Homework Equations

q = m x SH x Delta T

The Attempt at a Solution

Step 1: Calculate q of water.
qwater = m * SH * Delta T
qwater = m * 4.18 * (42.4 - 25.9)

Problem: the m is not stated in the give. Water is given in ml. I tried to search and some people say 1 ml = 1 g. I don't know if that is correct. So I hesitated in continuing this problem until I find out the correct way in converting ml to g.

If I can get pass that step, then I will do qsteel.

My answer for the 2nd question is that it is not accurate since it is not a calorimeter and thus there will be heat loss?

Please help. Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

To convert a volume of water to the mass of water, you need to know the density of water. You can look it up in a book for verification, but the density of water is basically 1 g/mL.

Thank you! :D

Hello guys, am a new member here, and i'd love to share with you..
i've faced the same problem before, and I've tried to find any related formula, but
the only one i got is the one that is mentioned by Ygggdrasil..it's mentoined here in
Tippens Physics book that the mass of 100-mL of water is 100 gram, so am using
this to make a cross multiplication between two fractions whenever I've to convert
any other volume of water (i don't know if the expression is correct because my
english is not that good)...
Would you please guys tell me how can i post a questio...see if you can help me
with this:
a 30.14-g stainless steel ball bearing at 117.82 c is placed in a constant-pressure calorimeter containing 120.0 mL of water at 18.44 C.if the specific heat of the ball bearing is 0.474 J/g.c, calculate the final temperature of the water.assume the
calorimeter to have negligible heat capacity.

1. How do you convert milliliters (ml) to grams for a heat capacity and specific heat problem?

To convert ml to grams, you need to know the density of the substance in question. Then, you can use the formula: mass = density x volume. This will give you the mass in grams.

2. Is it possible to convert ml to grams for any substance?

Yes, it is possible to convert ml to grams for any substance as long as you know the density of the substance. Different substances have different densities, so the conversion factor will vary.

3. Can you explain the difference between heat capacity and specific heat?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree. Specific heat, on the other hand, is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree. In other words, heat capacity is an extensive property, while specific heat is an intensive property.

4. Why is it important to convert ml to grams for a heat capacity and specific heat problem?

Converting ml to grams allows us to accurately calculate the mass of a substance, which is necessary for determining heat capacity and specific heat. These values are important in understanding the thermal properties of a substance and how it will react to changes in temperature.

5. What are the common units for heat capacity and specific heat?

The common units for heat capacity are joules per degree Celsius (J/°C) or calories per degree Celsius (cal/°C). The common units for specific heat are joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g•°C) or calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g•°C).