SJSU Aerospace vs UC Davis Aerospace?

• Thread starter svisbeck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
In summary, the conversation discusses the options of transferring to either UC Davis or SJSU for a major in Aerospace Engineering. The main question is whether going to Davis would be a better choice, given that it is a UC and San Jose is a state university. The conversation also touches on the fact that SJSU does not offer a PhD in mechanical or aerospace engineering and the lack of information on its research opportunities. The person asking the original question also states their desire to work at Boeing after graduation. When asked about their own school, they mention attending Los Medanos College and their plan to transfer to either Davis or SJSU.
svisbeck
Hello. I am a student at a junior college in the bay area of California. I plan on transfering to UC Davis or SJSU to major in Aerospace Engineering. Other than the fact that Davis is a UC and San Jose is a state university, and that probably means they don't do research, would going to Davis be better than SJSU? How are the programs different? I want to work at Boeing when I graduate.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to know this as well.

I can't speak to the benefits of one school over the other, but why would a state university not do research? I do see that SJSU does not offer a PhD in mechanical or aerospace engineering... masters only. That doesn't necessarily mean that the undergraduate education you'd receive at UCDavis is any better than that of SJSU.

http://mae.ucdavis.edu/research/

http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/mae/research_facultyresearch.htm

I heard that they don't at SJSU. Thanks

What school do you go to?

Los Medanos College in the bay area. I plan on transfering to Davis or SJSU. What about you renob?

1. What are the differences in curriculum between the SJSU Aerospace and UC Davis Aerospace programs?

The curriculum for SJSU Aerospace and UC Davis Aerospace programs differ in several ways. SJSU offers a broader range of courses, including concentrations in aeronautics, astronautics, and aviation management. UC Davis, on the other hand, focuses more on research and offers concentrations in unmanned aerial systems and aerospace structures. Additionally, SJSU requires an internship for graduation, while UC Davis does not have this requirement.

2. How do the faculty and research opportunities compare between SJSU and UC Davis Aerospace programs?

The faculty and research opportunities at SJSU and UC Davis are both highly regarded. SJSU has a larger faculty with a mix of industry professionals and academics, while UC Davis has a smaller faculty with a stronger emphasis on research. Both programs offer opportunities for students to participate in cutting-edge research projects.

3. What are the career outcomes for graduates of SJSU and UC Davis Aerospace programs?

Graduates of both SJSU and UC Davis Aerospace programs have a high success rate in finding employment in the aerospace industry. SJSU's location in the heart of Silicon Valley provides students with access to numerous job opportunities in the aerospace and aviation industries. UC Davis' strong research focus also prepares students for careers in research and development.

4. Which program has a better reputation in the aerospace industry?

Both SJSU and UC Davis have strong reputations in the aerospace industry. SJSU's location near major aerospace companies gives it an edge in terms of industry connections and job opportunities. However, UC Davis' research and academic reputation also make it highly regarded in the industry. Ultimately, it depends on the individual's career goals and which program aligns better with their interests.

5. How do the internship and hands-on learning experiences differ between SJSU and UC Davis Aerospace programs?

SJSU requires students to complete an internship for graduation, which provides valuable hands-on experience and industry connections. UC Davis also offers opportunities for internships and hands-on learning through research projects, but it is not a graduation requirement. Both programs offer valuable real-world experiences, but SJSU's internship requirement may give its students a slight advantage in job placement after graduation.