Electricity and magnetism HELP

In summary, electricity and magnetism are two forces that are closely related. Electricity involves the flow of electric charge, while magnetism is the force created by moving electric charges. They interact with each other through phenomena such as electromagnetic induction. Both have numerous applications in daily life, including generating electricity, using magnets in motors and generators, and powering technologies. At the atomic level, they are both related to the movement of electrons. Common sources of electricity include power plants, while magnetism can be found in the Earth's magnetic field and in magnets made from certain materials.
johnnyies
electricity and magnetism HELP!

hi, I am trying to studying physics 2 (electromagnetism) before next semester. the school uses college physics by serway, which is just not working for me

do you have any recommendations of books that will supplement the material on a conceptual basis? is the older text of physics by halliday resnick any good?

the class is algebra based, i will not mind higher mathematics as long as the concepts are thoroughly explained, which in serway they are not.

Physics news on Phys.org

Halliday Resnick, and Halliday Resnick Krane are good. I don't really like Halliday Resnick Walker.

I understand the struggle of trying to grasp complex concepts in physics. My recommendation would be to look for textbooks that focus specifically on electricity and magnetism, rather than a general physics textbook. Some options could be "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths or "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell. These books are known for their clear explanations and conceptual approach to the subject. As for the older text of physics by Halliday Resnick, it is still a great resource and can provide a solid foundation for understanding electromagnetism. Just make sure to supplement it with additional resources to fully understand the material. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two different forces that are closely related. Electricity involves the flow of electric charge, while magnetism is the force that is created by moving electric charges. Essentially, electricity is the cause and magnetism is the effect.

2. How do electricity and magnetism interact?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related and can interact with each other in various ways. For example, an electric current can create a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current. This is known as electromagnetic induction.

3. What are the applications of electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism have numerous applications in our daily lives. Some common examples include generating electricity through power plants, using magnets in motors and generators, and using electricity for various technologies such as lighting and electronics.

4. How are electricity and magnetism related to each other in the atomic level?

At the atomic level, electricity and magnetism are both related to the movement of electrons. Electrons, which have a negative charge, are responsible for creating both electric and magnetic fields. The movement of electrons in an atom or a material determines its electrical and magnetic properties.

5. What are some common sources of electricity and magnetism?

The most common source of electricity is through the use of power plants, which convert various forms of energy, such as coal or wind, into electrical energy. Magnetism can be found naturally in the Earth's magnetic field, as well as in magnets made from materials such as iron, cobalt, and nickel.