Learning Math from Basics to Advanced

• Thread starter Tommyrand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation is about a person who wants to relearn math from the basics and go beyond school-level in order to pursue topics related to computer science, calculus, and physics. The person is struggling to find organized and reliable resources on the internet, and is considering using a website called mathtutordvd.com. Another person recommends doing a lot of practice problems instead of relying on video lectures, and recommends the REA Problem Solvers books for this purpose. However, someone else mentions having a negative experience with REA books in the past.
Tommyrand
Hi.

I'm an adult and I've forgotten the little math i learned in school, so i need to start right from the basics. I'm looking to learn math from the beginning and go beyond school-level, the aim is to get into further topics that relate to computer science, with additional interest to calculus and physics. Resources on the internet are highly fragmented and it's difficult to organize yourself, or choose the right one. Besides hundreds of various books available that offer basic>advanced>... topics, I've found http://www.mathtutordvd.com/ , which seems to me fairly organized and "good looking". Is mathtutordvd quality learning and fulfilling material that doesn't cut any corners? I have little trust for video, since it's not as practical as text for educational purposes (a picture is still worth a thousand words :p ). Any recommendations and pointers will be more than welcomed.

Thank you for your time.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey.

I know how you feel, I'm trying to study math further on my own while working so I won't have forgotten it when I reapply to grad school. My own advice is to do a lot of problems - video lectures won't help much. Do problems and when you have trouble, come here and ask for help. My personal favorite books to study from are the REA Problem Solvers. They have TONS of problems, and when you've tried your hand at them, you can look at the solution to see if you are doing it correctly.

theCandyman said:
My personal favorite books to study from are the REA Problem Solvers.
Just my two cents on REA books that relate to standardized test prep: they are terrible. I've looked at their math books for SAT prep and also the New Jersey Grade Eight Proficiency Assessment (GEPA). The REA books are wrought with errors, and their practice question bear little resemblance to the actual test questions.

This may or may not be the REA books you refer to, but I felt I had to respond.

1. What is the best way to learn math from basics to advanced?

The best way to learn math from basics to advanced is to start with a strong foundation in the fundamentals. This includes understanding basic arithmetic, algebra, and geometry concepts. Once you have a solid understanding of these concepts, you can move on to more advanced topics.

2. How can I improve my math skills?

Improving math skills takes practice and dedication. One way to improve is to regularly practice math problems and review concepts that you struggle with. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to gain new perspectives and tips for solving problems.

3. Which areas of math are considered advanced?

Advanced math typically includes topics such as calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. These topics build upon the fundamentals and require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills.

4. How can I stay motivated while learning math?

Staying motivated while learning math can be challenging, but setting achievable goals and tracking your progress can help. It's also helpful to find real-world applications for the math you are learning, as this can make it more engaging and relevant.

5. Is it ever too late to learn math?

No, it is never too late to learn math. With dedication and persistence, anyone can improve their math skills at any age. It's important to start with the basics and build a strong foundation, but it's never too late to learn new math concepts and techniques.