Calculating Determinants: A Guide to Finding the Correct Answer

In summary, a determinant is a mathematical value calculated from a square matrix that provides important information about the matrix. It is important in various areas of mathematics and can be calculated using methods such as cofactor expansion, row reduction, or the Leibniz formula. Common mistakes when calculating determinants include forgetting to switch signs, using the wrong row or column, and making arithmetic errors. There are some shortcuts for calculating determinants, but practice is the most effective way to become efficient in calculating them.

Homework Statement

Find the determinant of the following matrix:

19...1...-3

I chose the 1st row to do the operations on.

4 [(1*0) - 1*(-3)] + 1 [19*1 - 7*1]

= 4[0 - (-3)] + 1[12]
=12 + 12
=24

I can't see any mistakes in that, but it's apparently wrong. The answer is supposed to be 0. Here's the thing, for some rows/colums, the answer comes out to be 24, while for other rows/colums, the answer is 0. Shouldn't it not matter which row/column you choose? So why am I getting different answers?

For example, if I choose the 3rd column...

1 [19 - 7] - 3 [4 - 0]
= 12 - 12
= 0

So why am I getting different answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
60051 said:

Homework Statement

Find the determinant of the following matrix:

19...1...-3

I chose the 1st row to do the operations on.

4 [(1*0) - 1*(-3)] + 1 [19*1 - 7*1]

= 4[0 - (-3)] + 1[12]
=12 + 12
=24

I can't see any mistakes in that, but it's apparently wrong. The answer is supposed to be 0. Here's the thing, for some rows/colums, the answer comes out to be 24, while for other rows/colums, the answer is 0. Shouldn't it not matter which row/column you choose? So why am I getting different answers?

For example, if I choose the 3rd column...

1 [19 - 7] - 3 [4 - 0]
= 12 - 12
= 0

So why am I getting different answers?

Are you familiar with the method of visualizing the diagonal multiplications? That's the way I prefer to do it, and it does give an answer of zero.

See the 3x3 matrix determinant example part-way down this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant

I get a determinant of 24 in two ways: expanding the first row; expanding the 3rd column. There is a sign error in your work in expanding the third column.
60051 said:
1 [19 - 7] - 3 [4 - 0]
= 12 - 12
= 0
It should be
1 [19 - 7] - (-3) [4 - 0]
= 12 + 12
= 24

Ack! I dropped that "-" sign as well. Thanks Mark.

Happens to us all... leastwise it happens to me!

The answer given is 0, even though 24 also works, as we have seen.

So what's the deal? Are there two determinants?

A matrix has only one determinant, so either the given answer is wrong or the matrix you showed us is different from the one in your book's problem.

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical value that is calculated from a square matrix. It represents important information about the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

2. Why is calculating determinants important?

Calculating determinants is important in many areas of mathematics, including linear algebra and differential equations. It is used to solve systems of equations, find eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and determine the invertibility of matrices.

3. How do you calculate a determinant?

To calculate a determinant, you need to first make sure the matrix is square. Then, you can use different methods such as cofactor expansion, row reduction, or the Leibniz formula. The specific method used will depend on the size of the matrix and personal preference.

4. What are some common mistakes when calculating determinants?

Some common mistakes when calculating determinants include forgetting to switch the sign when using the Leibniz formula, not expanding the correct row or column when using cofactor expansion, and making arithmetic errors when performing calculations.

5. Are there any shortcuts for calculating determinants?

There are some shortcuts for calculating determinants, such as using the properties of determinants to simplify the calculation. Additionally, there are some special types of matrices, such as triangular matrices, for which the determinant can be easily calculated. However, in general, there is no single method that works for all matrices and practice is the best way to become efficient in calculating determinants.