What area(s) or topics of chemistry are used in mechanical engineering

In summary, materials science is a mix of physics and chemistry and is important for mechanical engineering. Areas that are covered in materials science include corrosion, photovoltaics, thermochemistry, and micro/nano-fabrication.
tj00343
what area(s) of chemistry is used in mechanical engineering, Is chemistry crucial to Mechanical Engineering and if it is ,What areas or topics should one concentrate on .
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a mechanical engineer but the ones I know have little to no knowledge of chemistry: I imagine, however, that it depends what you want to do. Materials science will be important, though, and this is really a sort of mixture of physics and chemistry. Why is it you are asking the question? Do you have chemistry electives to choose from and would like to know what might be relevant or..? If so, it might be useful to list an outline of the classes, there will be some more worthwhile than others.

I have a B.S. and an M.S. in mechanical engineering. There's hardly any chemistry in the curriculum. Practicing mechanical engineers would surely know the reactions involved with their work (e.g., when I was working in microfabrication I was familiar with the reactions involved in plasma etching, wet etching, oxidation, vapor deposition, etc.), but not much more, in my experience.

I'm currently an undergrad mechanical engineering major and from my experience the only chemistry in the curriculum is bits a pieces in thermodynamics and materials science.

thnx everyone ,i have a follow up question though ,could someone please tell me what areas of chemistry are involved in materials science

tj00343 said:
could someone please tell me what areas of chemistry are involved in materials science

It is useful to use Wikipedia for things like this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materials_science

Have a read at the description of what materials science is and what it entails, and you should be able to get an idea of what type of chemistry would be useful. Basically, characterization of materials and anything to do with the structure of materials is important - crystal structure, determination and effect etc.

A few areas of chemistry that haven't been covered above (with their relevance to mech engineering):

electrochemistry - corrosion, fuel cells, photovoltaics
stoichiometry, kinetics & chemical equilibria - corrosion, nuclear/radioactive materials, combustion engines, energy storage, sensors
thermochemistry - combustion engines
very basic organic chemistry - micro/nano-fabrication
very basic inorganic chemistry - generally good to know

Thanx alot

1. What is the role of chemistry in mechanical engineering?

Chemistry plays an important role in mechanical engineering as it helps engineers understand the properties and behavior of materials used in mechanical systems. This knowledge is essential for designing and constructing durable and efficient machines.

2. How is organic chemistry used in mechanical engineering?

Organic chemistry is used in mechanical engineering to study and develop materials such as polymers, which are widely used in manufacturing mechanical components. It also helps in the design and synthesis of lubricants for machinery.

3. What are some specific areas of chemistry used in mechanical engineering?

Some specific areas of chemistry used in mechanical engineering include materials science, thermodynamics, and chemical reactions. These areas help engineers understand the properties and behavior of materials, the transfer of energy in mechanical systems, and the chemical processes involved in manufacturing and operating machinery.

4. How does analytical chemistry relate to mechanical engineering?

Analytical chemistry plays a crucial role in mechanical engineering as it helps engineers analyze and quantify the chemical properties of materials and fuels used in machinery. This information is used to optimize the performance and efficiency of mechanical systems.

5. Why is understanding corrosion important in mechanical engineering?

Understanding corrosion is vital in mechanical engineering as it helps engineers choose the right materials and coatings to prevent corrosion and extend the lifespan of mechanical components. It also helps in identifying and mitigating potential corrosion issues that could lead to safety hazards or equipment failure.