Applied and Computational Mathematics?

In summary, Applied and Computational Mathematics is a branch of mathematics that applies mathematical theories and techniques to solve real-world problems. It involves the use of mathematical models, algorithms, and computer simulations to analyze and predict complex systems and phenomena. This field has a wide range of applications, including data analysis, optimization, cryptography, and financial modeling. It plays a crucial role in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics, and continues to evolve with the advancement of technology.
Amar.alchemy
Applied and Computational Mathematics??

Hi,

Honestly, I don't know how to put my question in words. However, I will give it a shot. I have completed Engineering degree in Electronics so i have good knowledge of mathematics and also Programming.
Recently I am using Mathematica to solve some simple mathematical problems and i find it more interesting. So I want to pursue my higher education in Mathematics so that I can do research in algorithms. So, What should one study in Mathematics to do research in algorthims? For example, with help of Google I found out that Numerical Analysis comes close to what i am thinking but I'm not sure.

Plz guide me:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

More and more schools are offering graduate programs in Applied Mathematics and/or Computational Mathematics (Scientific Computation). A Google search would reveal plenty of results that meet your goals.

Off the top of my nugget, I know the University of Maryland - College Park has a good program (http://www.amsc.umd.edu/).

EDIT: Just realized that GA Tech offers a degree that might be right up your alley. Its a PhD program in Algorithms, Combinatorics & Optimization (http://www.cc.gatech.edu/education/grad/phd-aco ).

Last edited by a moderator:

Cod said:
More and more schools are offering graduate programs in Applied Mathematics and/or Computational Mathematics (Scientific Computation). A Google search would reveal plenty of results that meet your goals.

Off the top of my nugget, I know the University of Maryland - College Park has a good program (http://www.amsc.umd.edu/).

EDIT: Just realized that GA Tech offers a degree that might be right up your alley. Its a PhD program in Algorithms, Combinatorics & Optimization (http://www.cc.gatech.edu/education/grad/phd-aco ).

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm not from US...

Here are some of the research areas in mathematics dept which are offered in my country. Kindly tell me which all of them come to the category which i am looking for:
partial differential (algebraic) equations; optimization; computational geometry and topology; computational geometry and data visualization;
In the below link they have mentioned some more Research areas:
http://math.iisc.ernet.in/research.htm

I'm having very hard time to decide which all areas come under my interest or is there any problem with the my way of approaching??

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is applied and computational mathematics?

Applied and computational mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the practical applications of mathematical concepts and techniques to solve real-world problems. It involves using mathematical models, algorithms, and computer simulations to study and analyze various phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology.

2. What are some examples of applications of applied and computational mathematics?

Some examples of applications of applied and computational mathematics include weather forecasting, predicting stock market trends, optimizing the design of structures and machines, analyzing medical data to develop new treatments, and simulating chemical reactions in drug development.

3. What skills are required to work in the field of applied and computational mathematics?

To work in the field of applied and computational mathematics, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Proficiency in programming languages and knowledge of algorithms and data structures are also essential. Additionally, good problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and the ability to analyze and interpret data are important for success in this field.

4. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in applied and computational mathematics?

A degree in applied and computational mathematics can lead to various career opportunities in industries such as finance, technology, healthcare, and government. Some common job titles include data scientist, financial analyst, risk analyst, software engineer, and computational biologist. Graduates with this degree can also pursue further studies in graduate programs in mathematics, computer science, or other related fields.

5. How is applied and computational mathematics different from pure mathematics?

The main difference between applied and computational mathematics and pure mathematics is their focus. Pure mathematics is concerned with abstract concepts and theories, whereas applied and computational mathematics is geared towards solving practical problems using mathematical tools. Additionally, applied and computational mathematics often involves working with real-world data and using computer simulations, while pure mathematics is more theoretical in nature.