Struggling with Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a differential equation and two possible approaches to solving it: separation of variables and using an integrating factor. The final solution is obtained using separation of variables and is confirmed to be correct.
jasonbot

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm struggling with a differential equations:

y'=(1-y)cosx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y'=cosx-ycosx

p(x)=e^(∫-cosxdx)
=e^-sinx

y'e^-sinx=e^(-sinx)cosx-e^(-sinx)ycosx

then I get confused because of the derivative.

I thought it could be
y'e^(-sinx)=d/dx(e^(-sinx)y) but that clearly doesn't work...

Physics news on Phys.org
Separation of variables might be a good approach here... you can show that the solution is given by

[tex]\int \frac{1}{1 - y} \, dy = \int \cos(x) \, dx[/tex]

and both of the integrals are well calculable.

If you want to use an integrating factor, you need to move the y's to the same side.

[tex]y'+(\cos x)y = \cos x[/tex]

When you multiply through by the integrating factor p(x), the LHS becomes the derivative of p(x)y(x).

[tex]\mbox{LHS} = p(x)y'(x)+p'(x)y(x) = [p(x)y(x)]'[/tex]

That's where the y' term goes.

Gah! My bad :( I feel quite stupid now... The exercise is on integrating factors and I didn't see that o_O
Thanks vela for clearing up integrating factors for me :D

so to continue...

∫1/(1-y)dy=∫cosxdx

-ln(1-y)=sinx+c

1-y=Ae^(-sinx), A=e^c

-y=Ae^(-sinx)-1
y=-Ae^(-sinx)+1

which according to the solution is correct. Thanks guys! It's actually an IVP but I'll just leave that out since it's easy.

Note that what you are doing now is separation of variables.
To use integrating factors, you should proceed along vela's lines.

I did note that, it's just easier this way. Thanks CompuChip

What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time or space. They involve variables, functions, and their derivatives.

Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are essential in many fields of science and engineering, as they can model real-world phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electric circuits. They also provide a powerful tool for predicting and understanding the behavior of dynamic systems.

What are the different types of differential equations?

The three main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. SDEs also take into account random factors.

How are differential equations solved?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common methods include separation of variables, using integrating factors, and using numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

What are some challenges when working with differential equations?

Differential equations can be challenging because they often have no exact solution and require advanced mathematical techniques to solve. They also often involve complex mathematical concepts such as calculus and linear algebra. Additionally, the specific form of the equation and initial conditions can greatly impact the difficulty of solving it.